B2 extension of Stay for my mom

defleopard22

Registered Users (C)
My mom came to EWR on May 31st. Her return ticket was for October 8th.
But, she got I-94 only till August 27th.

I am looking at few options.

1. Should we file for her extension of stay.
I heard its hard to get extension without really good reason.
Should we file now, or wait till August.
If we file now, it may get denied by August and may of no use.

2. She can go out of country in August to Canada and come back again.
What do you guys think about that option.

3. I am a US citizen, I can file her green card, but she is not interested in applying for her gc.

Thanks, any input is highly appreciated.
Def.

Hs she been in the US before? Has she extended her stay on her previous visit? If so, that explains the reason why she was allowed only 3 months stay. In that case it is unlikely that her extension will be approved. Going to Canada for a few days does not change her I-94 date.

A1: In my opinion, unless there is a life/death emergency, EOS on B-2 should not be filed, specially when it is a restricted I-94
A2: She can surrender her I-94 on the way to Canada. On her return from Canada, she may not be allowed to re-enter. You want to take that risk?
A3: No point if she does not want to live in the US

1. Should we file for her extension of stay.
I heard its hard to get extension without really good reason.
Should we file now, or wait till August.
If we file now, it may get denied by August and may of no use.

2. She can go out of country in August to Canada and come back again.
What do you guys think about that option.

3. I am a US citizen, I can file her green card, but she is not interested in applying for her gc.

Thank you nkm-oct23 and S K Ghori for your replies. Sorry, I had not realized to the thread, therefore, did not see the replies.
To answer nkm-oct23's questions, she has been in US 4 times before. No, she never extended her stay before this. In the past she stayed, between, 2-3 weeks to maximum 2 months an always came with my dad. This is the first time, she came by herself. Also, she is coming for the first time (her 5th time coming to US), after I became the US citizen.

We went through a family loss recently, and I would like her to stay longer so that she has change.

I hear about many people who filed extension of stay and got approved (parents came at the time of child birth etc.), and I am very tempted to try. I also agree with S K Ghori that normally, they only advise you to file an extension only in the case of life and death. I guess, based on your comments, option 2 is out.
what is restricted I-94.

She entered on 5/31. A default six month entry would have meant her I-94 was valid until 11/30. She was given an I-94 that expires on 8/27. So she did not get the default period of six months. Thus what she got is a "restricted I-94".

what is restricted I-94

Thank you S K Ghori.

To add to the twist, I checked her I-94 online, and it is for six months. So, will call CPB tomorrow to confirm which one is valid.

From online I-94:
Admission (I-94) Record Number: XXXXXX
Admit Until Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 11/29/2013
Most Recent Date of Entry (MM/DD/YYYY): 05/31/2013
Class of Admission: B2

Thanks,
Def.

I called the hotline and they advised me to call the local office for deferred entry, which is newark airport in my case and go there and ask them to fix it.
I called the local office, and they said the same thing that online is correct, and there is no need to come.
They advised me to strike out the date in the passport and take the printout of the online form and carry it with the passport.

Thanks,
Def.