1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forums have been moved to a new software. All data till march 30 has been moved over. You can start using them. You should be able to login with the same user IDs and passwords as on the old forums. The old forums will be available as ''read only" under forumarchive.immigration.com.
  3. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394. Next call is on June 19, 2014.

B1- Interview for People older than 79

Discussion in 'General B Visa and Related Issues' started by Anand-Citizen, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Anand-Citizen

Anand-Citizen Registered Users (C)

I want to apply visitor visa for my parents. father is 85 and mother is 79. i read somewhere that interview is not necessary for people above 79 years of age.

Is this true? is there a way to avoid interview for them, since they do not live in Bombay.

I am a Citizen, is getting green card for them would be eaiser?

Thanks in Advance.
  2. nkm-oct23

nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

If the applicant is at least 80 years old, then a personal interview is not required. Otherwise a presonal interview is required and there is no way to avoid it.

Is this their first visa application to US? Recently a new program has been implemented by US consulates/embassies worldwide which allows interview waiver if a visa is being renewed in the same category with 48 months of expiration. Click here for more information.

Applying for a green card will take several months and upwards of $1500 per person. Consider this option only if you want them to live with you in the US for long term. Green cards will definitely require a personal interview.
  3. Anand-Citizen

Thanks nkm-oct23

This would be their first Visa. They dont want to live here and that is why i am not applying for GC.

Do you Know what would be the Procedure for them, as there is no interview, then how and where do they send the documents.

I tried to search but cannot find any description for that.
  4. nkm-oct23

If your mother is 79 years old, she has to attend a personal interview for her visa, there is no exception. Contact VFS in Mimbai which handles all US visa applications for more information.
  5. BigJoe5

BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/news/2012,0323-newdelhi.shtm Read about the potential for interview waivers in the article at that link.
  6. nkm-oct23

The new waiver applies only to those applicants who are renewing a visa in the same category. It does not apply to OP, whose parents are first time applicants.
  7. Anand-Citizen

I tried to contact them- no replies;-((
  8. hazelickes

hazelickes Registered Users (C)

Applicants who are 80-years-old or older, and have not been previously found ineligible for a U.S. visa, do not require visa interview appointment and are not required to come to the U.S. Embassy to apply for nonimmigrant visas.
  9. BigJoe5

BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

I wish you would remove the COMMERCIAL links to poor quality websites from your spam-like posts. Consider yourself reported as spam.