• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Australian wanting to immigrate to the USA

MattK

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

My name is Matthew. I am a 20 year old Australian who wishes to live and work in the USA because I love that country.

I am looking for information from anyone who can give me advice from their own experience or their own knowledge on how a young Aussie can immigrate to the USA.

Since DV 2014, each year I enter the Diversity Visa Lottery.

I am aware of the E-3 visa which is for Australians, however from my own research I am unable to confirm whether or not I am eligible for this visa. The area that I have trouble understanding is qualifying occupations/education. I am a commercial pilot. I was not trained at a university and therefore I do not have a degree. I went to a vocational school and I hold 1 Certificate 4 and 2 Diploma's (all aviation related). I also hold a CASA (ICAO) Commercial Pilot License and some additional 'ratings' (specialized training). I finished my training earlier this year and have been working as a pilot for just the last few months. If I traveled to the USA and got my license converted to an FAA (American) license and then managed to secure a job offer from a US employer, would my previous training and experience qualify me for an E-3 visa? I have found evidence to suggest that I am and that I am not so it seems to be a grey area. Any help to clear this up would be very much appreciated!

Are there any other ways that a young Aussie with my education can immigrate to/work in the USA?

In high school I completed the equivalent of a US high school education (A levels). You should also know that I have no family in the USA. I have traveled there many times and have many friends there however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Matt. I'm in a similar position. I'd love to live and work in the US, and since I wasn't selected for DV2015, I'm holding out for DV2016. Otherwise the only other option is the E3 visa.

Based on your qualifications though, it doesn't sound like you would be eligible since it does say that you're required to hold a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent). From the US embassy Canberra website:

The definition of “specialty occupation” is one that requires:
- A theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge; and

- The attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

There's more information here: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/e3visa.html including how to determine whether your occupation could qualify, so search around, there might be a chance.

There's also this forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1490659 where people have shared their success stories. You could also post your question there.

Just keep going at it. If you badly want something, remind yourself of it everyday, and try to get it by whatever means, eventually you will.

Thanks! I have looked into this option however it is a very large effort to get my pilot license converted to an American equivalent and would not be worth it for just a year. I have my fingers crossed for DV 2016 but I have other options if that doesn't work out for me. I have EU citizenship and I can also get a visa to work in Canada that will eventually lead to permanent residency so those are 2 great options I have. I like the USA the most though.

I hope your move to LA goes great! You are very lucky indeed to have been selected on your first year!

Thanks! I have looked into this option however it is a very large effort to get my pilot license converted to an American equivalent and would not be worth it for just a year. I have my fingers crossed for DV 2016 but I have other options if that doesn't work out for me. I have EU citizenship and I can also get a visa to work in Canada that will eventually lead to permanent residency so those are 2 great options I have. I like the USA the most though.

I hope your move to LA goes great! You are very lucky indeed to have been selected on your first year!

The J-1 work visa doesn't require you to get anything converted.. you just have to have either graduated within the last 12mths from at minimum a Diploma qualification or have been studying for the last 12 months...

But good luck for DV2016 :) All your other options sound awesome also, and you're young so explore them all now! It's worth it.

Thank you! This was my first year entering but I didn't get selected, my husband did and he's entered at least 3 other years :) But we are still very lucky!!