srini88

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I was trying to compare these two countries in terms of
1)job opportunities
2)salary levels
3) cost of living, housing etc
4) taxes
5) health benefits (Which country is more comprehensive?).

I did some research but would love to hear from members who have lived in both countries or know of the pros and cons of both.

I guess weather wise Australia has much more warmer and moderate climate but the tax brackets seem to to be higher.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. Similar in software. But Canada has an edge if applying from the U.S.
2. Depends on the nature of the job.
3. Food is cheaper in Australia, home prices are compareable
4. Tax: GST + PST is 15% on all items in Canada and Income tax can go upto 36%, in Australia the sales tax (GST) is 10%.
5. Canada's health is free but waiting times are long.

Weather in Australia is moderate. Public transport facilities are better in Australia. Canada's economy depends on the U.S. Bottomline is if one intends to move to the U.S. at a later stage, Canada maybe the choice otherwise Australia has the edge.

Use this site it will give you a starting point
http://www.immi.gov.au/

Using Lawyers is a personal question it depends on how comfortable you feel with the process. Some have used lawyers and some have not

use the points test on the site and plug in your relevant work experience that will get you started

Never lived in Australia, but used to live in Canada. Info is based on what I have heard about OZ.

1)job opportunities -- Canada's economy depends a lot on trade to the US and natural resources and jobs are mostly clustered around specific sectors and cities. Another thing I hear -- Canada is better for blue-collar jobs, but OZ is better for white-collar work. This was from an Australian girl who recently moved to Canada.

2)salary levels -- Probably about the same. I hear white-collar jobs pay more in Australia, whereas blue-collar wages are higher in Canada.

3) cost of living, housing etc -- I hear it's about the same, maybe a little cheaper in OZ

4) taxes -- Depends on where you live in Canada. Alberta has no sales tax and a flat provincial tax rate. Quebec and the Atlantic provinces have brutal income and provincial sales taxes. I hear income taxes are about the same, maybe a tad lower in OZ.

5) health benefits (Which country is more comprehensive?) -- Canada’s healthcare system is almost 100% public. It’s not “free”, as the government touts it to be. Depending on what province you live in, you have to pay additional premiums. The waiting times are very long, quality of service is declining and there are bad doctor shortages (self-afflicted, really). Can’t comment on OZ’s system, but I hear it’s a mix of public and private insurers. I’ve heard waiting times for some procedures are not so bad.

I’m actually looking to move to Australia in a few years time, which is why this thread interests me. I live in the States now and am a US and Canadian citizen. I love living in the US, but would love to try OZ. Never heard a bad thing about the place and the weather is splendid.

Hello ! i got refused from aus recently main footing of the refusal was immigration authorities couldn't verified my experience when they called ma employers what should i do ..

pswami said:
want to move to Australia and need guidance:

- can i apply myself or need a lawyer? any suggestions of a lawyer in USA.
>>> If I did it myself why not you

- I have masters from USA and my wife has phd in science from India. we dont have any relatives in australia. we both have work experience in usa. how should be evaluate our chances for australia?
>>> sign up with liveinaustralia.com to check whether you qualify or not. You need to garner 120 points to waulify for Skilled Migration

- how much are the expenses for applying for australia
>>> 2-3000US$

- any site where I can get all this information?
>>> following links give you all the info
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/index.htm
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm

feel free to email me if you need information.

am I eligible for Australian Skilled Immigration

I am Asad .

I am 28 years old

I have done Bachelors in computer science and I have 16 years education

I have 3 years Experience working as software engineer

from July 1st 2008 to 30th November 2008 = 5 months as software engineer

from March 2009 to January 2012 =2years 11 months as software engineer

but from last 6 months I am not doing jobs as I am involve in some private contracts

I have done IELTS Academic and I have 6.0 band ,

so am I eligible to apply for skilled immigration for Australia or not ,
I have done IELTS Academic , am I eligible to apply with IELTS Academic or I have to do IELTS General again