aunt is illiterate: citizenship dilemna

arigsagc

Registered Users (C)
my aunt is 72 year old and unfortunately did not have a chance to go to school. she is expecting to have her citizenship interview in Aug, 2005 here in newark.

Since she is illiterate, she can hardly read english words and hardly express herself in english language. so do you think she has the chance to pass the interview esp. the civic /history question since i believe it is next to impossible to ask her to memorize stuff she should memorize for the interview.

to all gurus, i will appreciate any comments, suggestions or advice about her predicament in the forthcoming interview

thank you very much

Depends on how long your Aunt has lived here in the U.S.A. The laws state that if your Aunt is over 65 years of age, and has lived here in the US as a LPR for 20 years, she is exempt from the English test. As for the civics test, she is permitted to take a “special consideration” civics test in the language of her choice. The test is based on a list of 25 questions, which are provided in A Guide to Naturalization.

Read more at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/6520q.pdf

Hope this helps.

stayed for 5 years

buster said:
Depends on how long your Aunt has lived here in the U.S.A. The laws state that if your Aunt is over 65 years of age, and has lived here in the US as a LPR for 20 years, she is exempt from the English test. As for the civics test, she is permitted to take a “special consideration” civics test in the language of her choice. The test is based on a list of 25 questions, which are provided in A Guide to Naturalization.

Read more at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/6520q.pdf

Hope this helps.

shes been permanent resident for the past 5 years and 72 years old , can she still ask for the "special consideration" treatment

It does not appear outrightly so. But is it possible that you can get an Infopass appt at your local DO and ask this question to the interviewer?

Here is my question though..
If she cant speak or understand English how do you expect her to even attend an interview in the first place ?

speaks a little, can she be accompanied?

Rahul Kumar said:
It does not appear outrightly so. But is it possible that you can get an Infopass appt at your local DO and ask this question to the interviewer?

Here is my question though..
If she cant speak or understand English how do you expect her to even attend an interview in the first place ?

thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. Well she could speak a little but cannot express herself fully or should i say not fluent in english but simple english commands or daily conversational terms she has no problem and we are just wondering if the officer could allow my counsin to act some sort of interpreter. thanks again gurus.