Attorney Thomas Jones, Immigration Associates

kesab

Registered Users (C)
Hello all, may I know if anybody has ever (or u know somebody) hired Attorney Thomas Jones (Immigration Associates) for immigration/non immigration related petitioning. Appreciate your inputs..

Look at the AILA site

It may worth to have a look at the AILA website (www.aila.org) for him listed at the association, and also check with the local attorney's bar.

Rich

Thanks Rich..Infact I am havng some communication problem with him, so I wanted to check if others are also having the same problem with him.

Why does it sound familiar?

I had about the same problem.Our first attorney was highly recommended and we signed with his office without checking his background. Then he had a helper who was unexperienced, but still was an attorney. Then we had about 3 different paralegals assigned to our case. They started to make mistakes, and when I started to seriously ask for answers was rudely told I was asking too many questions, and the fees I paid did not cover the attention I demanded.:mad:
Next thing I did was look for a local attorney (This time we did our homework, asked at AILA, locally and the attorney's bar). It was just in time, because then he had a serious problem with his associates and left the office, taking "his clients" with him. :rolleyes:
It finally cost me a month delay while I could recover my approved ETA750, but finally got rid of him.
The new attorney office is local. Can stop by with a short notice appointment and my questions are usually answered.
It doesn't mean they are always right (recently had to fill them with proof that I could apply for our iEAD), but they filed our C-9 without an RFE (yet).
Hopefully they did it fine and we're on our way.

Bottom line: keep them on a short leash;)
Good luck!
Rich

Rich, good to know it finally worked out for you. My lawyer seems to work just by himself. I paid an advance (he cost less than other attorneys) and then submitted all my documents about a year ago. After that he is just keeping almost silence inspite of my several mails, phone messages (he never picks up phone), faxes etc. He just sent me an e-mail saying that it has been filed (NIW), but I never got the INS receipt or anything. Is it possible to contact directly to get another receipt?

It sounds FISHY!

Gee KESAB. Be really careful, all us have to pay in advance the attorney's fees, but usually the filing and BCIS fees can be left for the filing. We paid the final fee only after they gave us copies of the NOAs (all of them), since it's the only way you have track your case.
The worst part is you may not get any receipts. Some local BCIS offices do not send receipts at all.
I would first ask for ANY proof he filed them, be either cashed checks or money orders, or any way to check that in fact a case was filed. The BCIS (as far I understand) cannot help if you don't have any proof that a case has been filed (I believe NIW cases must be filed at Service Centers, ask him where he filed).
Second read 10 time the binding document you signed with him. Make sure you understand it completely.
Third I would get another attorney (sorry to tell you that your current attorney might never filed your case), and have him request all documentation from him (it's a bit different when another attorney ask for them).
By all means, get an AILA's attorney. In the worst scenario you may have to start all over again.

I hope to be totally wrong, but there are too many thieves out there.

Rich

Hi,

I had a very bad experience with Attorney Thomas Jones.
He did not file or reply to my e-mails for one year. He did not even reply to my postal mails requiring acknowledgement and his signature. Finally after third mail indicating that I would file a complaint against him with the bar association, he filed for my I140. Even though he got the approval, he never mailed me the original copy. He faxed me a copy after repeated e-mails and phone messages that I would file a complaint again. He did not file for my I485 for 6 months even after I sent him completed I485 forms and medical reports. I finally gave up and switched to my company lawyer. The strange thing is Thomas Jones never transferred the file to my new attorney after my request or my new attorney's request. My I485 was filed based on a fax copy of I140 approval. It's been taking 18 months for I485. What a waste. I feel I got cheated by Jones. I would love to see somebody take action against him.

If you lodging complaint, here is the address

Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
Of the Supreme Court of Illinois
One Prudential Plaza
130 East Randolph Drive
Suite 1500, Chicago, IL 60601-6219

No need to mention to him that you are filing a complaint. If you are not satisfied with his service, just go ahead file a complaint. He will promise that he will complete the process if you withdraw the complaint. But, there is no gurantee once you withdraw your complaint. Once you file the complaint, do not exchange e-mails or communicate to Jones. The e-mails or communication can be used against you. Build a case, using receipts, his e-mails, original contract etc.

The bank can provide you a copy of your check he cashed. Unless he provides you a LIN Number for your case or receipt number, he cannot prove that he has filed your petition. Even if you switch lawyers, you can still file complaint against him at the above address. YOu might be able to get your money back. But, do not take him as a lawyer again. Make arrangements to switch your lawyer. Sorry to confirm your best fears. If you file a complain now, you can save many others. I feel bad not to have followed through to file a complaint, otherwise I would have saved a few innocent souls like yours..
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following is a sample of complaint I prepared that I never filed to give an idea..

========================================
Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
Of the Supreme Court of Illinois
One Prudential Plaza
130 East Randolph Drive
Suite 1500, Chicago, IL 60601-6219

Dear Sir or Madam:
I would like to bring to your attention my difficulties with Attorney Thomas C. Jones who is practicing law in DeKalb, IL.

I hired Attorney Thomas Jones on ???date to help me with immigration petition, I-140, and green card processing. I made initial contact with Attorney Thomas Jones after finding out his web site, www.immigrationassociates.com, through a yahoo search. Responses from Attorney Jones to my initial enquiries were prompt and assuring. The contract for legal services was signed on date ???. I opted for the payment plan of $2500 upfront. The check for $2500 was drawn on date ?? at <name of the bank>. The bank records show that Attorney Jones cashed the check on <date>.

I have received from Attorney Jones neither a copy of the I-140 petition nor a receipt notice for the petition from INS as was promised in the contract for the legal services. After waiting for a couple of months, I sent a few e-mails to Attorney Jones enquiring the status of I-140 petition. Doubts came to my mind first in <date> when Attorney Jones failed to respond to my enquiries.

Since then I have been trying to reach Attorney Jones via phone, e-mail and certified mail with receipt notice to find answers to the following questions
a. Whether attorney Thomas Jones is still interested in representing me
b. Whether attorney Jones filed immigration petition I-140 to INS on my behalf
c. Whether attorney Jones can provide me a copy of the I-140 petition and the receipt notice from INS
Most of these enquiries are documented and are attached to this letter. Please note that there were numerous undocumented enquiries also. Attorney Jones has not responded with the above information to any my enquiries.

Protecting immigration status is very important to me. Please help me understand if Attorney Thomas Jones is licensed to practice law in Illinois and if he is in good standing. I also would like to know why Attorney Jones failed to respond to any of my enquiries. This information will help me decide whether I should continue with Attorney Thomas Jones or whether I should hire a new attorney to help me with my immigration status.

I would like to thank you and your office in helping me with this matter. Please feel free to contact me at <your phone number> should you need further information in this case.

Thanks Srinuss, one of my friends also had the same problem like yours. For me, I opted for advance of $1000 and then sent him my all documents for filing. Then he just stopeed communicating with me with INS receipt inspite of my e-mails, faxes, regular mail. He does not accept certified mail either. Few months back, he sent me an e-mail with an attached copy of the petition (not dated) and mentioned that he is going to send me relaed forms for I-485; but has done so far. I am just making finger crossed that everything is going fine, and tryng to be patient with him. I am just worried that if I file compalint now, my I-140 approval statge will be screwed up. But if I donot hear back from him in another month or so, I will go ahead with the complaint against him. Thanks for the letter. I would like to keep in touch with you, if that's ok with you..

I was thinking like you do and did not file a complaint. Everything sounds so similar. He did send me, after one year of waiting, a copy of the petition which is again not dated. Unless he provides the receipt numbers, there is no gurantee that he filed your petition. YOu are losing valuable time. If the petition is filed, I do not think filing a complaint is going to mess up your case. But again, it is your decision.

I am also considering mobilizing some media such as writing to cbs, cnn, or abc to take up the story to do some investigation against this guy. He needs to be bought to justice. He needs to pay for his deeds. If you file a complaint, you will have my support.

is your friend having trouble with Attorney Jones or some other lawyer? The more people complaint against him, the better the case against him will be.,

If you are waiting for your I140, atleast switch your lawyer after getting I140 approved. He told me that he is sending me I485 forms. However, only after 3 months of e-mails, phone messages, letters and threating he sent me the I485 forms. I sent him the forms, photoes and the medical reports. He never filed for I485 for me. Photoes costed me $120 and medical reports another $100+ which I had to redo after switching lawyers. What a waste? I finally gave up and switched lawyers 6 months after I sent him I485 papers. IN his final e-mail, he indicated that he is waiting on me to send him the processing fee for I485. Did he not sign the contract that the original amount included the fee for I485 for you and your spouse? We are really fooolish to think that he is cheap. Think about it again, I485 application fee is $150, EAD $100+ and Advanced Parole $100+, I140 100+, total processing fee comes close to $1000. He should be very cheap to sign a contract for $2500-$3000.

The biggest reason, you should consider switching lawyers is EAD card and Advanced Parole. With current I485 processing times, there is a chance you will need to extend your EAD card once or twice during I485 processing. Can you count on him to do that in time for you? Can you count on him to file for advanced parole if you need to leave the country on a family emergency? Note that once your H1 reaches 6 year limit, your options are to extend H1 or to extend EAD card. YOu can continue to work if you extend EAD card (even though H1 is expired). EAD card is cheaper to file ($100+ processing fee as opposed to $1000+ fee for H1 extension)

Even if you switch lawyers, you might want to ask all these questions. Who is paying for the processing fee? Does I485 processing include filiing for EAD and advance parole? If your EAD expires before I485 is expired, is he going to file an extension or do you need to pay extra money for this?

After going through this mess for over three years (still waiting on I485. INS really screwed up finger prints for thousands of us, tomorrow I am giong to finger prints for the third time. I am not the only one, I know several others who went to finger prints for three times with in last 6 months), I do not want anybody to go through this. All the best and good luck to you,

In my profile, I had selected not to accept private message. May be that is the reason you were not able to send private messages.

Ok cool..I am going to ask my friend also about this. I liked your idea. Thanks ..Will keep in touch with you through this message board.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, these are public discussion boards. Discussing future strategy on a public forum particularly if it involves legal action is not a good idea.

Crime

Dear Sirs,

The following people are involved in crime and money related crimes, sexual abuses.

Anjali of New York
Smitta Patel New Jersey
Ravi Kiran - California
Anu- California
Gangaram - Tennnesse
Aparna - Tennesse
Trini - Florida
Nisha - Tennesse
Sririam- Texas
Srinija - California
Aruna - University fo Texas at Dallas
Chandu- University of Texas At Dallas -
Sheela

They are the few who have destroyed my face and have nearly spoilt my career.

Please any one who spots them send a email to INS nearest.

Thanks you.

They are with Kenyan maafia

Thank you so much Eric for the link. Yes Eric, I hired him and going through the same situation that others have been going through. After a year of repeated requests to him he said that he replied to RFE (he also set me a copy) in my case but the INS status does not say this. The one page RFE response as I see is not at all good. By the way, are you also a victim of him?

Bar Complaint

Former Clients of Thomas Jones:

For what it is worth and it may seem duplicitive...but....because Thomas Jones is already under investigation by the Illinois Bar, it is even MORE IMPORTANT now that those of you who have had sub standard experiences with this attorney also file SWORN complaints. Just from reading the post and the complaint that is pending against Mr. Jones, it looks like his lack of attention to client matters is not just a one time isolated incident.

An additional one or two complaints, if the allegations are proven, may be the diference between Mr. Jones receiving a slap on the wrist or a long term suspension. I URGE those of you who have received an unacceptable level of service to help protect the rest of us from individuals who see those attempting to process a visa as easy targets to take the money and run.

Dear dad of 3. I am sorry that I could not understand what exactly did u mean. Could u explain it simpler?
What is SWORN complain? I have similar situation like those who complained, but I have not yet complained yet. Just waiting to see the hearing (which is on Nov 17, 2003)
Another question I have is once he is suspended what will happen to his clients? Will we all lose the money because he will be suspended and no longer will be able to assist anyone?...thanks