Atlanta N400 processing Selective Service

oluyi

Registered Users (C)
Anybody have sugestion please advice
I entered united state in 1995 when I was 25 yrs and 6 months old with a DV program(i.e I came in with my green card). In 1996, I decided to further my education where I had to apply for scholarship, this was refused on the ground that I did not register with selective service when I entered US. I did not know anything about selective service when I entered for real. So, I was instructed to register which I attempted in 1996 but, I was sent a letter saying that I was already pass the age to register but asked me to take the letter to the school so that they can approve my scholarship which then was later approved. Now, I filed for my citizenship, in 2000 and I already did my fingerprint and in February of last year, I was sent a mail saying what I need to bring with me when I will be coming for the interview when a date is set if one has not already been set of which includes a status letter from selective service. I already got the letter from the selective service and I still have in my procession the correspondence I received from selective service in 1996 when I first attempted to register. I want to know what is my chances of getting the interview date or passing the interview will all these aforementioned circumstances. I want to know if I will need to go to the interview with a layer or not. Please advice.

No Title

Based upon your email, it seems that you have taken all the necessary steps once you became aware that you needed to register for the Selective Service. It is very important that you take along with you the letter that you’ve received from the Selective Service to your interview. This will show the INS that you did attempt to register, however, you were over the age requirement. As for taking an attorney with you to your interview, that is your decision.

Thank you,
Homa

The writer of this message is not a lawyer and this message is not meant to be legal advice. Before relying on this information, you must consult a lawyer on the facts of your specific case. The Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna takes no responsibility for the accuracy of this information.

Selective Service

Should you have issues with selective service, going through all my postings will do you a lot of good. I went for my citizenship interview without any lawyer by my side. The guy that did the interview asked me the usual flag and stars questions and took me through the process of writing a simple english for him. He asked me why I did not register with selective service and I told him that I made several unsuccessful efforts to register but the agency kept replying that I am over the registration age allowed. As a result, I could not register and since I had couple of correspondence authenticating this excuse of mine, I tendered the paper together with the new one they requested that I should bring with me to the interview. In a short note, the interview went successfully. Thanks guys for your advice day and night on this site. I think this is the best website ever. Soon as I do my oath, I will bring it to your notice guys.
Sincerely yours,
Oluyi