Asylum Interview Results: Out-Of-Status = 2 weeks and Legal-Status = 6 Months?

ksao98

Hi

I heard that if you are in legal status (F1, H1) when you file for asylum, your interview decision will be 6 months or more.

If you are out of status, the decision will be out in just 2 weeks.

Is it true?
Katherine

You are more likely to get the decision earlier if you are illegal. However, being illegal does not guarantee you receiving the decision in 2 weeks. Some people wait for more than 6 months.

No, it's not true. I was F1 when I was interviewed, but my case was approved less than two weeks.
USCIS is one of the most unpredictable department you can imagine. They don't have any set rules for processing cases. If you are lucky processing will be quicker but if not who knows what's in your fate.
I've found people's that filed I-485 took less than six months to process but mine took 6 years now you figure
that one out. But the good thing is it took them only 3 months to process my citizenship deal. I was highly surprised.
So it all depends.

I am F1 but never went to school , i got the email from the school I applied to, saying I am out of status but my visa expires in 2014.am I out-of-status or not? :confused: , had my interview may 13th and waiting for my mail out notice