1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asylum granted! What's next?

Discussion in 'Political Asylum in USA' started by niccollo, Jun 28, 2012.

  1. niccollo

    niccollo Registered Users (C)

    Hello guys!
    This is my story...
    I was arrested by ICE in August 2010, applied for asylum in April 2011, and granted asylum by Immigration Judge in June 2012.

    What is next? What are the steps to GC?

    I was told by my lawyer, that it will take 365 days to get GC.
    Does that mean that I'll wait 1 year to apply for GC, and then wait 6months or by the end of year I will have GC in my hands?

    I would like to see my family in Eastern Europe (not the country of prosecution) - when can I apply for travel document? Any problems in process of getting that document?

    Any suggestions, critics, experiences are more than welcome.

    Thank you for your time and answers
  2. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    The Refugee Travel Document (RTD) is obtained by filing form I-131 with USCIS. Do NOT travel without it! Travel will delay your ability to file for adjustment of status.

    8 CFR § 209.2 Adjustment of status of alien granted asylum.

    The provisions of this section shall be the sole and exclusive procedure for adjustment of status by an asylee admitted under section 208 of the Act whose application is based on his or her asylee status.

    (a) Eligibility.

    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) or (a)(3) of this section, the status of any alien who has been granted asylum in the United States may be adjusted by USCIS to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, provided the alien:

    (i) Applies for such adjustment;

    (ii) Has been physically present in the United States for at least one year after having been granted asylum;

    (iii) Continues to be a refugee within the meaning of section 101(a)(42) of the Act, or is the spouse or child of a refugee;

    (iv) Has not been firmly resettled in any foreign country; and

    (v) Is admissible to the United States as an immigrant under the Act at the time of examination for adjustment without regard to paragraphs (4), (5)(A), (5)(B), and (7)(A)(i) of section 212(a) of the Act, and (vi) has a refugee number available under section 207(a) of the Act.

  3. scully51

    scully51 Registered Users (C)

    Congratulations on your asylum win!

    I traveled to Europe during my 1 year waiting period after being granted asylum. Depending on where you are traveling you may need a visa. You do need either a RTD or a Re-entry Permit, both are used in place of a passport. The first time you request an RTD or RP it is free.

    You can apply for your GC 90 days prior to reaching your one year anniversary. Processing times vary.

    Enjoy your new life in the U.S.
  4. niccollo

    niccollo Registered Users (C)

    Thank you!
    It as, as u say it, NEW LIFE!
  5. assylum

    assylum Registered Users (C)

    You have to wait for 1 year before you apply for GC. The RTD is free only when you file it with the GC application.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  6. assylum

    assylum Registered Users (C)

    The next step is to apply for unrestricted SS card. You will have to wait for 1 year to apply for adjustment of status. The processing time for the adjustment of status is 4-6 months if you don't have any inadmissibility issue or background check issues.

    There will be a fee for the RTD if you apply for it before applying for GC.

    Like BigJoe5 said, travel might delay the GC process. I highly recommend that you don't travel if it is not an emergency
  7. niccollo

    niccollo Registered Users (C)

    Thank you for your time and advice...
    Do you know where could I look for benefits that I am able to have as a new asylee?
    Coledge? Scholarships?

    Thank you
  8. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    Search for benefits.gov and follow instructions to fill out an online questionnaire.
  9. niccollo

    niccollo Registered Users (C)

    I was lucky enough to find Refugee Resettlement Agency that helps new asylees -
    1 - we are entitled to free Medic aid (up to 8 months after the asylum is granted)
    2 - financial aid - for more than $1000 divided in 10 weeks
    3 - food stamps.

    In my case - I was working on my SSN, and cauze I'm making more then $18,000 a year, I cannot get food stamps, but I was enrolled in financial and medical aid.

    Also, I was sent for FREE Immunization appointment.
    I was told, when the time comes - I will just go to regular doctor to confirm that I have done everything and only pay for signing in those documents (if that has any sence).

    If anyone knows more - please LET US KNOW!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012

Share This Page