1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asylum Applicant marrying citizen

Discussion in 'Political Asylum in USA' started by gtaid1, Jan 7, 2017.

1. gtaid1

gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

Hi All,

I filed for asylum in 2013 and now just got married to US citizen. My asylum application is still pending.
    My spouse is going to apply green card for me. Do I need to do anything with my asylum application first or just leave it as is?

Please help me and thank you for your response in advance.

2. Asylum seeker

Asylum seeker Registered Users (C)

You need to ask a lawyer to make sure you doing the right step. I'm not sure and I'm not lawyer but I think you should sent a letter to your asylum office asking them to withdraw your asylum application in order to go ahead and file for greencard.
    Or you can make a infoPass appointment in your nearest USCIS office to ask them what you supposed to do.
    Please keep us updated and let us know what is the right answer once you get it from them.

matrix Cartel likes this.
  3. USC2013

USC2013 Registered Users (C)

Lawyer /lawyer....

4. Asylum seeker

Asylum seeker Registered Users (C)

Hi USC2013
    What do you mean by that?! :)

5. gtaid1

gtaid1 Registered Users (C)

Thanks all for replying....do you know how much a lawyer would cost me?

6. USC2013

USC2013 Registered Users (C)

tell us in which city you are. ..then someone will probably give you a name...

7. matrix Cartel

matrix Cartel New Member

The lawyer has to be a big firm and with big firm you can negotiate the fees it will not cost you more than $4000

8. matrix Cartel

matrix Cartel New Member

Yes as @AsylumSeeker has mentioned don't file the GC by yourself when you go for GC interview you will for sure need attorney. be ready to keep $4000 as whole fees until you get GC. pay in installment deposit the lawyer around $1000 and pay the balance less than $500 a month. GC will take minimum 6 month by this time you will be able to pay your lawyer fees with your EAD make income.and make sure you have more than minimum income so you and your spouse income does not come less than the property line of income to qualify for GC. This is how we did for a friend with their lawyer.