ASYLEE Travel Information

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
If you are an asylee and DO NOT HAVE A GC:

-You can request a RTD from USCIS and be out of the country as long as the RTD is valid for. You can even stay away for more than 6 months as long you have a valid document to enter the U.S. Since you are not a PR and your GC is in process, your residency status has not started so staying out of the country for more than 6 months don't matter. The validity of document matters.

-Other class immigrants like H1 with GC In process other can be out of the country but with an ADVANCED PAROLE DOCUMENT. Asylees can also request that but since being an asylee means you can't use your National Passport, Advance Parole can't be used.

If you were an ASYLEE and are a GC holder, you can request the follwing from USCIS:

1)RTD
2)Rentry Permit

Since you are a Permanent Resident now, residency requirements kick in, so if you want to be out of the country for more than 6 months, YOU DO NEED a Rentry Permit to renter or the officer at port of entry will give you trouble.

This also resets your Naturalization requirements which require that you are not out of the country for more than 6 months.

So the question is WHY would you request a RTD which is valid for only 1 year rather than a Rentry Permit which is valid for 2 years?

It can depend. Some people want RTD because some countries still do not accept Rentry Permits, like Switzerland and even Germany requires a visa on a Rentry Permit rather than a RTD.

Lot of people who are from a "profile" country like myself, do not want to travel with our NP. First, its a hassle to get a visa on it, even though you have a GC, officers look at you weirdly and airline personnel treat you different with a NP from a "profile" country.

For instance, I want to go to switzerland this summer which requires NO VISA if you have a valid NP and a GC. However a VISA is required on a RTD and if you hold a GC or not...I am applying for a Visa. #1, I do not want the hassle of renewing my passport, #2, that would mean I would need 2 visas, 1 for germany and 1 for Switzerland if I travel with my Np. Its a hassle.

So in summary, as a GC holder who was an asylee, you can travel using

1) Rentry Permit + GC
2) RTD + GC
3) NP + GC

In theory USCIS doesn't care if you have a RTD or RP or NP when you enter, they care that you have a GC which proves your status. Lots of officers will run the GC,verify your status and put a stamp on your passport as "Admitted on: Date, Until: ARC"for GC holders, "USC" for US Citizens and issue a I-94 with "Indefinte" in Admitted Until Entry for Refugees or Asylees.

HOpe this helps.

Thanks again "WANT" for sharing your knowledge with us. Now everything is clear like crystal.

Entering US on Reentry Permit doesn't require a GC.If you have one on your hands,that's good.If you don't,there is no trouble.Reentry Permit is used as a US passport when entering US.Also,I.O knows that Reentry Permit is issued only to Green Card holders.I.O doesn't have no more status to verify when you display your reentry Permit.GC is required to those travellling on NP cause since you're travelling on NP with GC,your NP doesn't have any visa to enter US.That's why they require your GC to verify you're status in US.If you stay out of US for more than 6 months and less than 2 years,you have abondonned your residence in US.To get back to the US,you need to apply for a visa.To avoid this visa application,uscis advice PRs to obtain a Reentry Permit.Reentry Permit serves as a visa to reenter US for PRs willing to stay out of the US for more than 6 months and less than 2 years.Reenter Permit also serves as Passport for PRs who can't be able to renew theirs NPs(Some embassies in US don't issue Passports to theirs citizens and to get one,you need to contact your parents in your home country and it sucks sometimes).In this situation,PR may use Reentry Permit for a long or short trips overseas.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

cadel said:
Entering US on Reentry Permit doesn't require a GC.If you have one on your hands,that's good.If you don't,there is no trouble.Reentry Permit is used as a US passport when entering US.Also,I.O knows that Reentry Permit is issued only to Green Card holders.I.O doesn't have no more status to verify when you display your reentry Permit.GC is required to those travellling on NP cause since you're travelling on NP with GC,your NP doesn't have any visa to enter US.That's why they require your GC to verify you're status in US.If you stay out of US for more than 6 months and less than 2 years,you have abondonned your residence in US.To get back to the US,you need to apply for a visa.To avoid this visa application,uscis advice PRs to obtain a Reentry Permit.Reentry Permit serves as a visa to reenter US for PRs willing to stay out of the US for more than 6 months and less than 2 years.Reenter Permit also serves as Passport for PRs who can't be able to renew theirs NPs(Some embassies in US don't issue Passports to theirs citizens and to get one,you need to contact your parents in your home country and it sucks sometimes).In this situation,PR may use Reentry Permit for a long or short trips overseas.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Hmm...Cadel. I thought if you do'nt have a passport to travel on, you should apply for a RTD (refugee travel document)? RP is OK too?

froff22 said:
Hmm...Cadel. I thought if you do'nt have a passport to travel on, you should apply for a RTD (refugee travel document)? RP is OK too?

All PRs are not asylees/refugees and are not lucky to get RTD.If youre PR as a result of asylum/refugee you may apply for RTD and use it to travel.When returning to US,RTD is your Passport and your visa to reenter US.In this situation your GC will help you not to go to checking room.If you decide not to trvel on RTD and want to use Reenter Permit,it's same.Reentry Permit is your Passport .Apply for visas and take short trips overseas on your Reentry Permit.When returning to US,Reentry is everything for you:passport,returning visa to US,Proof of your status in US...

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

cadel said:
All PRs are not asylees/refugees and are not lucky to get RTD.If youre PR as a result of asylum/refugee you may apply for RTD and use it to travel.When returning to US,RTD is your Passport and your visa to reenter US.In this situation your GC will help you not to go to checking room.If you decide not to trvel on RTD and want to use Reenter Permit,it's same.Reentry Permit is your Passport .Apply for visas and take short trips overseas on your Reentry Permit.When returning to US,Reentry is everything for you:passport,returning visa to US,Proof of your status in US...

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Great. I see. It sounds like the Rentry Permit is less of a hassle. Even with a GC, coming back on a RTD, you'll need to go to checking room?

I have a question:
If I travle using Reentry permit and stay oversea over 6 month, how do USCIS know that I stay oversea more than 6 month since I don't think they have record shows when I leave US.

to surprise77:
very easy.Nowdays airlines are required by law to submit passenger manifest electronicaly (since 2002 electronicaly, before 2002 that they submitted printed count of passengers) to US CBP which shares data with more than 26 law enforcement agencies incl. USCIS.Data shared is for ALL passengers incl. US citizens and Prs and contains data like name, passport/TD #, date of birth, citizenship, A# (if given) ,etc.
Must be submitted at least 30 min before departure from or arrival into the US and is being stored for indefinite period of time.
So they know. Even when you purchase a ticket over Internet, travel agent or whatsoever, Passenger Name Record (PNR , good subject to google and to read about) is being created which is being transfered to TSA for possible match on their NO-FLY list and being shared with some other agencies.
P.S. for wantmygcnow, a little correction: at POE US citizens do NOT get their passports stamped at all . Reason being is that a US citizen is NOT subject to admission to US, since admission to US can NOT be denied to a USC (natural born or naturalized) . USCIS has no jurisdiction over a USC anymore , USCs are only subject to CUSTOMS questionaries/searches but that has nothing to do with any immigration laws.

surprise77 said:
I have a question:
If I travle using Reentry permit and stay oversea over 6 month, how do USCIS know that I stay oversea more than 6 month since I don't think they have record shows when I leave US.

The country where you're going to will stamp your Passport/RTD/Reentry.There will be a date in there when you entered that country.Now,when returning to US,I.O will read that stamp and see the date from when you left the US.I.O is gonna ask you HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN THERE?If you lie,you're gonna put yourself in trouble.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

froff22 said:
Great. I see. It sounds like the Rentry Permit is less of a hassle. Even with a GC, coming back on a RTD, you'll need to go to checking room?

No.If you're coming back to US on RTD+GC,you're not gonna fill out I-94 and you will not be sent to the checking room.
RTD+GC= US Passport at Port of Entry in US.
National Passport+GC=US passport at Port of Entry in US
Reentry Permit=US passport at Port of Entry in US
RTD-GC= Checking Room at Port of Entry in US.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Short travel abroad for asylee

If I want to travel abroad for less than 6 month, will I get the re-entry permit? With it, do I also need to bring my green card or the permit alone is the document?
Thanks

cadel said:
No.If you're coming back to US on RTD+GC,you're not gonna fill out I-94 and you will not be sent to the checking room.
RTD+GC= US Passport at Port of Entry in US.
National Passport+GC=US passport at Port of Entry in US
Reentry Permit=US passport at Port of Entry in US
RTD-GC= Checking Room at Port of Entry in US.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Cadel,

You have many valuable inputs on travel ! These threads should be made as sticky, hopefully with other incoming wisdoms. Although I do not have any plan for overseas travel now but these should be very useful for the future.

Question for you:

1. Does "RTD-GC" mean "RTD without GC " ?

2. From your comments, Reentry Permit ( RP ) alone is everything when returning to US no matter how long you stayed outside US ( more or less than 6 months ). I know you are pro-RP, which is also our favor. However, can RP be used to be stamped other country's visa ?

Question

If a GC holder shows RP to a IO at the port of entry, does the officer automatically knows that you have stayed outside the U.S for more than 6 months or he is still going to ask you "how long were you out"? Otherwise why would you get a RP if you already have a GC and NP which allows you to stay outside for more than 6 months? thanks

GrassRoot said:
Cadel,

You have many valuable inputs on travel ! These threads should be made as sticky, hopefully with other incoming wisdoms. Although I do not have any plan for overseas travel now but these should be very useful for the future.

Question for you:

1. Does "RTD-GC" mean "RTD without GC " ?

2. From your comments, Reentry Permit ( RP ) alone is everything when returning to US no matter how long you stayed outside US ( more or less than 6 months ). I know you are pro-RP, which is also our favor. However, can RP be used to be stamped other country's visa ?

1- Yes.
2- Yes .I got a french visa on my Reentry permit.I'm travelling to paris for only 5 days(Feb 15-Feb 20).My Reentry is used as a passport and will be stamped at Port of Entry in France.As Wantmygcnow said,there is small group of countries which don't accept a Reentry permit.But,most of countries accept it abd they issue visa on it and let you travel.
3- Yes,I'm pro Reentry permit because it's a document which makes me feel comfortable when travelling.There no Alien status on it,compare to RTD when you can read above your head REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT and this makes you get more screened when entering your visiting country overseas.
One time at Paris Charles Degaulle airport,when I hand over my RTD to the Officer,He asked my this question:Is it easy to get asylum status in US?Can you figure it out ?I'm not sure to get that kind of question if I was travelling on my NP or Reentry Permit!
RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

doctorn said:
If I want to travel abroad for less than 6 month, will I get the re-entry permit? With it, do I also need to bring my green card or the permit alone is the document?
Thanks

If you have your GC,there is no reason to leave it in your locker room when travelling.During your stay abroad,if you lost your GC for example,use your Reentry Permit and come back to the US and you will be fine.But if you're travelling on your National passport,if you lost your GC abroad,you can't come back to the US without obtainning a Pass from the US embassy to allow you to reenter.That thing will cost you time and money from the embassy of the US in the country where you're making your vacation/Holiday...That the big GC makes difference between Reentry Permit holders and National passport holders.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Google59 said:
I lose my NP, How do I do?

You may use RTD or Reentry Permit to travel.That's up to you.One of both will replace your National Passport.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005