Asylee travel home

How to travel to home country

When you travel to your home country, what do you need to show to your home country customs there? Just your home country passport?

When you travel back, exiting from that country customs, what do you need to show to your home country customs? Showing your RTD is not realistic. You probably need to show your GC, right? But would the category (AS6 or AS7) on your GC raise issue to them? Does reentry permit work for you? I guess it can also raise suspicion. So what do you show them?

Among other things, I'm defintely worried about entry to, or exit from home country.

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Hope

Hope06 said:
When you travel to your home country, what do you need to show to your home country customs there? Just your home country passport?

When you travel back, exiting from that country customs, what do you need to show to your home country customs? Showing your RTD is not realistic. You probably need to show your GC, right? But would the category (AS6 or AS7) on your GC raise issue to them? Does reentry permit work for you? I guess it can also raise suspicion. So what do you show them?

Among other things, I'm defintely worried about entry to, or exit from home country.

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Hope

budy! you should be more worried about entry into the US...

caliSun said:
For employment based green card, you don't need to stick to one employer after your green card, but before that, you have to.

Sorry, you have big misunderstanding on employment based GC.
You are required to work sponsor company AFTER you got GC, NOT BEFORE you got GC. that is the basis of employment GC and that is why people
cares when they leave sponsor company after GC, not to let USCIS think
it's fraudulent.
If they leave sponser company a day after GC, what do you think if you are USCIS ?
if they divorce a day after unconditional GC, what do you think if you are USCIS ?
Timing is important to avoid trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
SAM33 said:
I have been reading threads here for now more than a year, first thing everyone here has to understand that not all asylum cases are the same, each and everyone of us applied for asylum on completely different basis.
"Fear of persecution"
Going back home after getting GC depends, what was the nature of your asylum. Political asylum,Religious asylum etc.
There are some where it does not make sense for you to go back, like political asylum. You will be arressted, the minute you land.
Religious asylum, nobody will arrest you, but it will be difficult for you to live there for long time or on regular basis.
There was someone who applied on basis of their sextuality, nobody will kill them,if they go and visit for short time, but it will be difficult for them to live there.
I have known few, who made many trips back home, and they will say that your status change after getting GC, you are no more asylee, you become a permanant residence.
I have a friend who is US Citizen for last 10 yrs, last 2 times when he came back to US, uscis sent him to the back room, and ask his purpose of visit abraod. So after 9/11 things have changed.
17 yrs back my friend went back home right in front of me on EAD ( he was not a asylee).
So things are getting hard now-a-days, but the fact is making trip back home without any good reason may get you in trouble in future, but if you have a good reason to prove, than situation may be different. Plan wisely.

Very good reasoning.
thats what I always think, however never able to express here.
definately different type of persecution in home country exist. like one person can have a problem of religious freedom. as soon as he tries to execute his religious belives, he could be persecuted. now if he is going back to meet his sick parents. definately he can resist himself in executing religious beleives and come back here safely.
Anyway.. its not upto us,, it depends on the immigration officers how they take these things. :-(
This was really good answer SAM33

Nicely put, SAM33. Exactly my thoughts. People in this forum have to understand, not all asylum caes are the same. For some of you traveling back home after 10 years may still be difficult if not dangerous. For some others, situation could have changed in as little as 5 years, and they might not feel threatened, or at least they feel safe enough to go for a few days. I just ask from the people in this forum, be reasonable. Don't judge others accusing them of fraud when you really know nothing about the individual case. Just share your experiences and points of view without sounding menacing. After all this is why we all come here, not for professional advice, but to read and know about what others have gone through.

And for the people considering to travel back home. Have some common sense: if you still fear your life might be in danger...is it really worth it? You migh be concerned about being able to enter the US when coming back. Believe me, you most likely will....but will you be able to leave your country in the first place?

I know it's a sensitive matter for most of us, but the fact the a person claimed asylee status in the US doesn't necessarily mean they hate their home country. So it's OK to dream about going back, to long for the day when you'll be able to see your homeland, your realtives, etc.

Please, I ask of all of you...let's have some tolerance :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: