Applying student visa after having overstayed from an asylum status?

wharton

Hello,

I need some advice.
I went to the US in the end of 1990's with my family to flee political turmoil that was happening in my home country, and was 11 years old at the time. My mother then applied for a political asylum and I was part of her application. After waiting for processing and administration which took quite some time (about 4 years), we found out that our asylum was denied. There was also some issue with the mail losing our application and interview invites. We then received a letter of deportation.
Then we applied for an appeal, and remained pending with no further notice. After an additional year, we checked back for our status and found that our appeal was also denied.

I stayed for a few more years after that to finish my education, and voluntarily left the US after completing my undergrad. It has been about 5 years since I left the US, and I applied for MBA in one of well-known universities in the US. I was accepted and now have an invite letter to study in the US.

My question and concern is, is it possible for me to enter back into the US and apply for a student visa?