applying for citizenship & US green card

telen

Hello everyone-
This forum has been very informative and what a great place to exchange experiences and ideas.

So I have been in landed status for over 3 years and now I want to apply for my citizenship. One important detail, last summer (2003) I got a US green card since I have a mother in the US who is a US citizen. I stayed in the US less than 1 month, waiting to get the US green card, then I returned to Canada.

My question for you is regarding the citizenship application form:

1. When I check 'YES - I obtained permanent residence in another country' does it mean I will have to go to a judge, or will they still send me to the written test, the normal procedure? Just FYI, last fall I renewed my Bulgarian passport so now neither my Canadian, nor the American stamps showing PR status are there in the new one.

2. Do I have to attach extra addendums to the application, explaining my situation, i.e how exactly I got the green card?

3. If they don't give me a written test and instead send me to a judge, because CIC may be suspicious that I did not stay put in Canada for these 3 years, exactly what documents do I have to prepare which will carry enough weight in the eyes of the court, that I resided in Canada?

Please share your experience even if your situation may not be exactly the same, but if it is somewhat similar to mine, or if you know others who were in similar scenarios.

Thanks to all in advance,
Telen
:confused:

. When I check 'YES - I obtained permanent residence in another country' does it mean I will have to go to a judge, or will they still send me to the written test, the normal procedure? Just FYI, last fall I renewed my Bulgarian passport so now neither my Canadian, nor the American stamps showing PR status are there in the new one.

Ans: Mostly a Judge.

2. Do I have to attach extra addendums to the application, explaining my situation, i.e how exactly I got the green card?

Ans: It will help to support your case as you are anyway ticking yes on the permanent resident of another country .

3. If they don't give me a written test and instead send me to a judge, because CIC may be suspicious that I did not stay put in Canada for these 3 years, exactly what documents do I have to prepare which will carry enough weight in the eyes of the court, that I resided in Canada?

They will verify everything from DL, Medical insurance, Taxes, Credit card bills, links to canada, employment in canada etc. You should not fear if you have lived in canada truthfully for 3 years as per the eligibility of the citizenship.

THANKS! <-- applying for citizenship & US green card

Good morning bhand11683,
Thanks for your insight and your helpful response to my post. It sort of gives me a sense of relief and confidence going into this.
Regards,
~Telen

I applied for Canadian citizenship Apr 2004 and March 2005 I went to write the citizenship test. I was told that in 3 months I can be invited to Oat ceremony, but instead yesterday (Aug 23) I received letter from Citizenship office requesting tons of documents and information to proof my residency ties with Canada.

Back in June 2004 I received US green card, because I am married US citizen and after July 2005 I was living mostly in USA with my husband, but I still keep my house in Canada, some of my bills and bank accounts. I live at the border USA & Canada and we cross often. I am not planning to sell my house in Windsor at least till I get the citizenship, but I am not sure how to convince the judge of my current Canadian residency ties, since all my family live outside Canada ...