Applying for Adjustment of status while Asylum case is pending! Please help

karri2008

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody, I happen to apply for asylum 2 years ago and still pending, I am in status F1, but recently got married and it is a bona fide marraige I am not worried about this part, what should I do when filling for adjustment of status, should I cancel my asylum application or just go ahead and file for AOS and when approved then I cancel my asylum, I had a lawyer when I filed for asylum however I just checked with him and I can't afford their fees and instead I am filing it myself, please let me know if you have any information or experience with a similar case. As I understand I have an A# that will be the same used for the asylum case, so if I don't have to cancel my asylum prior to the AOS should I indicate that I have a pending asylum somewhere like on my cover letter! pleas help.

You don't need to cancel the asylum until and unless they ask you to (and if they do, it's probably because they're about to approve your green card based on another application). Go ahead and apply for AOS based on marriage.

You don't need to cancel the asylum until and unless they ask you to (and if they do, it's probably because they're about to approve your green card based on another application). Go ahead and apply for AOS based on marriage.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Yeah I think that is what I should do and have been told, thanks for assuring it.

I have been reading and reading and I get a lot of confusion when it comes to filing for AOS, however I have no choice but to file it myself. I need to have it as quick as possible because I don't want to fall out of F1 status before I apply which means before August 12th because I can't afford school anymore. My main concern is the medical exam form I-963! I have been vaccinated when I was child however I don't have the card anymore, and TB test is positive due to have been vaccinated for TB, so seems like I will have to do tests for anti-body for all the vaccination that I have had which i know most of them but then it will add up time and money. what would be the tips to file as fast as possible, I am thinking the I963 first because it will take time. I am not sure if it is ok to be worried about being out of status, because I work with EAD through my asylum and expires next year plus my asylum case is pending!!! I worry also about doing something wrong while filing that could lead to endless delays and trust me with 2 years pending asylum I am sick of it. so any advice or tips please share.

You need to get the I-693 done first (it's not I-963) because the results in the sealed envelope* have to be submitted with the I-485. So make an appointment with a designated civil surgeon ASAP, and carry the I-693 to the doctor (you will fill out one part of it, the doctor will fill out the rest after/during the examination).

Don't assume the TB skin test will show positive. It doesn't for many adults who had the TB vaccination as a small child. I had the vaccination when I was about 7 or 8, but I didn't test positive on the TB test over 20 years later.

If your parents are still in your country and remember which doctor or hospital gave you vaccinations as a child, they might be able to get the records so you can bring them to the I-693 examination.

Most people file the I-130 and I-485 and related paperwork without a lawyer. So don't worry about lawyers, you can do it by yourself if you don't have complications like a criminal record or being in removal proceedings. Download all the forms and instructions, spend hours or days reading them thoroughly, then ask questions on this forum or search for existing answers if you don't understand something.

*they will mail it you double-layered (one envelope inside another): the outer envelope will have your name and address on it so the post office can deliver it, and you can open that one. The inner envelope must be sent to USCIS with the I-485 and it must remain sealed when you send it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to get the I-693 done first (it's not I-963) because the results in the sealed envelope* have to be submitted with the I-485. So make an appointment with a designated civil surgeon ASAP, and carry the I-693 to the doctor (you will fill out one part of it, the doctor will fill out the rest after/during the examination).

Don't assume the TB skin test will show positive. It doesn't for many adults who had the TB vaccination as a small child. I had the vaccination when I was about 7 or 8, but I didn't test positive on the TB test over 20 years later.

If your parents are still in your country and remember which doctor or hospital gave you vaccinations as a child, they might be able to get the records so you can bring them to the I-693 examination.

Most people file the I-130 and I-485 and related paperwork without a lawyer. So don't worry about lawyers, you can do it by yourself if you don't have complications like a criminal record or being in removal proceedings. Download all the forms and instructions, spend hours or days reading them thoroughly, then ask questions on this forum or search for existing answers if you don't understand something.

*they will mail it you double-layered (one envelope inside another): the outer envelope will have your name and address on it so the post office can deliver it, and you can open that one. The inner envelope must be sent to USCIS with the I-485 and it must remain sealed when you send it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE, i REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.
I HAVE STARTED FILING AND GATHERING MY PAPERS, I TESTED POSITIVE FOR TB JUST 2 YEARS AGO, AND MY PARENTS HAS NO SUCH RECORD AND WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE NO RECORDS CAN BE RETREIVED DUE TO DISTRUCTION OF THE CLINIC. SO, i GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GO FOR ALL TESTS FOR ANTI-BODY.
THANKS AGAIN, I AM READING AND WILL CONTINUE READING ON THIS FORUM, I HAVE NO PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND AS FOR CRIMINAL OR UNLAWFUL ENTRY OR STATUS, SO i SHOULD BE FINE FILING IT MYSELF.