1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for a US passport - STICKY

Discussion in 'Life After Citizenship' started by ravi1985, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. ravi1985

    ravi1985 Registered Users (C)

    Please check out these links (US State Department & US Postal Service) for applying for a US passport -

    First-time applicants (most of us are !!) - check out this page - http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_832.html.

    Applying for a US Passport - US State Department - http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

    The Passport Application Wizard is an helpful link - http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html.

    Also check out the Passport Card link in the State Department website at http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html. I would strongly recommend getting one and slipping it in your wallet in the slot vacated by the green card.

    Applying for a US Passport through USPS - http://www.usps.com/passport/. This may be the easiest way for most of us.

    Online Status Check - There is a link in the state department website to check the status of your application online - http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

    I found this a useful site - http://www.newcitizen.us

    Good luck.

    Moderator! Please make this page sticky; thanks!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
    Guriix likes this.
  2. arigsagc

    arigsagc Registered Users (C)

    new jersey to new york

    i live in new jersey. Can i apply for my us passport in new york?

  3. ravi1985

    ravi1985 Registered Users (C)

    Usually people apply in/from their home base. That said, any specific reason for wanting to apply in NY?

    You may be able to apply in NY. In fact, use the post office route and apply from any post office in NY. Check the USPS website posted earlier to check out the post office nearest you in NY that also had a passport processing center.

    Good luck.
  4. arigsagc

    arigsagc Registered Users (C)

    new york city woker

    i work in new york city and i a more familiar with the system and easier for me to travel around than in new jersey.

  5. ravi1985

    ravi1985 Registered Users (C)

    We just submitted my US passport applications yesterday at a local post office - just normal processing.
  6. NYCN400-2008

    NYCN400-2008 New Member

    Hello everyone.

    My oath appt. is June 27, 2008in manhattan. Is it possible to get a passport within 5 days. I plan to visit overseas on July 8 ( I already bought the airline tickets).

    thanks for your help
  7. nkm-oct23

    nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

    Yes, make an appointment at the nearest passport agency and show your ticket. You should get your passport the same day. You will have to pay the expedited service fee.
    renasgp likes this.
  8. Alf

    Alf Registered Users (C)

    My 13 year old sister has a green card. My parents recently naturalized as US citizens and promptly applied for a US passport for my sister. They received the passport within a few weeks. Interestingly, the green card was also returned to us with the passport. Since she is a US citizen what should we do with the green card? Are we required to send it back to USCIS? Is there an well defined procedure for this?
    renasgp likes this.
  9. CrossHairs

    CrossHairs Registered Users (C)

    Triple posted above. Come on, open a new thread, or post it in one thread please.
  10. Johnkent

    Johnkent Registered Users (C)

    don't u think that if USCIS/Passport folks wanted ur greencard, that they would have kept it?

    do whatever you wish with it.
  11. maisflocon

    maisflocon Registered Users (C)

    I applied for my passport and was told that there is no need to apply for passport card unless you commute a lot to Canada or Mexico as it is quite limiting and won't result in faster processing when crossing the border to Canada or Mexico. Also, someone in this forum mentioned that you have to slip your passport card in a metal jacket so the info on the RFID chip cannot be stolen.
    renasgp likes this.
  12. maisflocon

    maisflocon Registered Users (C)

    It's against the law for a citizen to possess a green card. Submit your green card to USCIS asap.
    renasgp likes this.
  13. rick92

    rick92 Volunteer Moderator

    Keep it as a souvenir. But, don't ever try to use it !!!
  14. acr

    acr Registered Users (C)

    If it were USCIS won't send green cards by US mail to the citizen children.

    To submit green card one needs to file N-600, not a cheap thing.
  15. Amma9

    Amma9 Registered Users (C)

    Need appointment urgenly

    I tried calling to make an appointment at my state local passport office. They will not give me an early date. I have travel to my country urgently and donot have US passport. Please let me know how to get an appointment right away? I was told they will not allow without prior appointment?
  16. sanjoseaug20

    sanjoseaug20 Registered Users (C)

    I presume you are talking about "passport agency" dealing with urgent passports. Usually, they will not have next day appointments, maybe a week down the line. If it is really urgent, try landing up at the office without appointment. They do allow ... it depends on how motivated you are. Going early (before office opens) will help.
  17. Levis 1

    Levis 1 New Member

    Actually a lot of Americans have a passport. But I'm pretty sure that they just won't let you pass without a passport. I think you can just go get one at Walgreens or something.
  18. sanjoseaug20

    sanjoseaug20 Registered Users (C)

    To moderators: How do you report a spammer? There was one yday, and looks like one today.
  19. IPL-fan

    IPL-fan Registered Users (C)

    Click on the icon (triangle with an exclamation mark ) under the post that you want to report as Spam.
  20. CKboiUSA

    CKboiUSA Registered Users (C)

    What do you mean "travel to your country"? Your country now is the United States.

Share This Page