Applying for a new TN visa few months before the current one expires.

Dashrezak

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen working in the US on TN status. My current TN will expire in February 2018. I have a business trip to Canada in October and my employer suggested to apply for a new TN status when I reenter the US. The company lawyer is also initiating a GC process and he also recommended to get a new TN status soon because he prefers to file AFTER I have a new TN status.

Now my question is, when I apply for a new TN status at the boarder when I am entering the US, will it be a questionable action to apply for a new TN status while my current one is still valid for another three months? I don't want to get denied because of applying too early.

Also is there a difference between applying for a NEW TN status and extending the current one? The lawyer asked me to get a new TN instead of applying for extension. I am not sure if the process is different or not.

Thanks a lot for your help.

There is certainly no harm in asking. You/firm are costing yourselves 4 months of TN time (since they will only grant 3 years from now, not February).
it is Always a new TN at the border never an extension; only mail-in I-129' can be extensions)
But asking for a new TN for the same job 4 months early at the border almost NEVER is accepted, so you will probably have to apply by mail in any case.

But there is no harm in asking.

There is certainly no harm in asking. You/firm are costing yourselves 4 months of TN time (since they will only grant 3 years from now, not February).
it is Always a new TN at the border never an extension; only mail-in I-129' can be extensions)
But asking for a new TN for the same job 4 months early at the border almost NEVER is accepted, so you will probably have to apply by mail in any case.

But there is no harm in asking.
Thank you for your answer.
My intention is actually ask for the new TN two months before the current one expires.
Just to make it clear; you mentioned there is no harm in asking. By that do you mean asking for a new TN at the boarder? In other words, the worst outcome is that I will be denied and will have to wait until the end of February to apply again, right?

4 months, three months two months, you said October for February expiry.

In any event, the normal successful period is weeks not months before expiry.

Simply ask if you can get a new TN with existing sponsor. If they say it is too early, then off you go. It is not a "denial", it is simply a refusal to look at the petition. Just don't get or let your employer or their lawyers get in a twist about it. Send in I-129 or go back later.

4 months, three months two months, you said October for February expiry.

In any event, the normal successful period is weeks not months before expiry.

Simply ask if you can get a new TN with existing sponsor. If they say it is too early, then off you go. It is not a "denial", it is simply a refusal to look at the petition. Just don't get or let your employer or their lawyers get in a twist about it. Send in I-129 or go back later.
Great advice. Thanks a lot for your help.