Applicants Who Filed/or About To File Form I-129f For A K-3 Visa, Please Share Your Story Here

durgum -- first of all, Congratulations!!! That's great news! My wife is from India, but she'll be going through Mumbai.

A few questions if you don't mind. How long did it take Chennai to receive your wife's file from the NVC? Did she go pickup packet 3 in person or did she wait for the Consulate to mail it to her? How did she get such a quick interview????

Ericl

07/07/2003 received a letter from new Hampshire (NVC) stating that my wifes file would be forwarded to Chennai us consulate ,India within a week. It aslso says that my wife will receive a packet soon.

07/22/2003 Received a letter/packet from chennai ,India with all the instructions for the interview at Chennai us consulate with the interview date as 08/12/2003.

So basically Chennai took like around 2 weeks approximately I think to take a decision.I personally believe that Chennai is real fast doing/fixing the interview.

Any more questions let me know.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like Chennai is working very efficiently. I wish the same could be said for Mumbai. I called them the other day and they told me it would take 2 months for the interview after submitting packet 3.

My wife's file was sent from the NVC on the 1st of August. As of the 12th, Mumbai hasn't received it.

phillydude

What I understand is Chennai consulate has approved doctors ONLY in Chennai NOT in other cities as far as I know. The letter my wife received that gave all the instructions /detailed steps for the interview approved doctors based in CHENNAI ONLY. So we had to go two working days BEFORE the INTERVIEW to CHENNAI to complete the doctors /medical tests part.

New Delhi is way too slow also. My wife's I-129F was approved by NVC on Jul 3, the consulate received it within a week but they still haven't mailed the packet-3 :(

This is despite the following directive to all diplomatic and consulate posts by BCIS:

Timely Processing of K3 Applicants

25. The LIFE Act created the K3 and the V categories to bypass administrative processing delays that cause long separation of families. K3s are immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. Posts should keep in mind that the intent of the K3 is speedy reunification of U.S. citizen families.

Last edited by a moderator:
A suggestion

americandesi -- Our file/case was received by the consulate in Mumbai on the 14th of August. We downloaded the forms for packet 3 off the Internet. We plan on going there on Monday to submit the papers in person.

Don't wait on the Indian postal system. Either download the forms from the Internet or go there in person to pick up packet 3. Good luck.

Hi EricL,

It will be great if it works for you.

How were you able to get the Police Certificate without any help from the consulate? We tried to get the certificate at the local police station but they wouldn't give it, saying that they will do so only after receiving the request directly from the consulate.

Also, in Delhi, as far as I know, the US embassy has changed the procedure - now-a-days everything is by appointment. So even if one wants to, one cannot drop-off the completed application at the embassy.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

americandesi

For the local PCC, my wife just had to write an application stating that the U.S. consulate in Mumbai was requesting a PCC for the interview. Basically she just had to write a small letter saying why she needed it and for what country. She got it in about a week’s time. They weren't too strict.

At the consulate in Mumbai, they have an information window. You can go there to ask questions, inquire about the status of your visa or pick up/return any forms. Once you get the new case # from the consulate, they'll will accept the forms from packet 3 either by mail or submitting them in person.

I know someone on another board whose wife is already in the U.S., but still she has not received packet 3 at her Indian residence.

K3 visa filing

Hello everybody,
I am a bit confused with the filing process for K3 visa. After reading through a few of the posts, this is what I gather:

1) File I 130
2) after receiving NOA for I 130, file for I 129
3) after receiving NOA for I 129 approval, file sent to the spouse
's country of residence, who then will apply for K3 visa.

My questions are:
How does BCIS know that the I 129 is for K1 or K3 and send the packet 3 (?) since they are applied at different times?

Can a GC holder marry some from another country (or should the marriage have occured when one of them is a US citizen for k3 visa) and get his/her spouse on K3 after getting US citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

Hi phillydude,

They will figure it out, based on the documentation you submit (Marriage Certificate) and the way you fill form I-129F (there are minor differences - see instructions, question 12).

And the answer to your second question is yes. You can marry now and bring in your wife on K-3 visa once you become a US Citizen.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

If you marry now while you are in green card status the wait will be long it takes up to 5years or so. When you become a citizen the process is much shorter. But if you marry now and become citizen later you can change the the petition.:)

My wife's K3 process

wheee ... I'm finally starting to see stuff happen:

08/28/2003 - Posted I-130 to BCIS VT Center via USPS Express Mail
08/29/2003 - BCIS VT received I-130
09/03/2003 - I-130 NOA #1 issued
09/05/2003 - I-130 fee check clears at my bank
09/08/2003 - I-130 NOA #1 received

I've had the I-129F sitting on my desk ready to go. I'll send it out tomorrow or the next day.

K3 Query

My attorney filed for my wife's K3 visa and here are the time lines:

06/02/2003 I-130 received date (BCIS)
06/03/2003 I-130 Notice date (BCIS)
06/16/2003 I-129F Received date (BCIS)
06/16/2003 I-129F Notice date (BCIS)
08/18/2003 More information needed (Copy of Naturalization certificate)
08/19/2003 Information submitted

Does anyone had a similar issue? In such a case how long will the process be delayed. I am desperately waiting for my wife's visa. Any help will be greatly appreciated

SM Reddy.

Hi SM Reddy,

I received I-129F 1st NOA on Jun 10 and the petition was approved Jul 3. So unfortunately looks like your process got delayed by around two months. Hopefully you should be getting approval soon.

Do you know the embassy that will be processing your wife's K-3 visa?

americandesi

Thanks for the reply americandesi. Congrats on your early approval. I guess I just have to wait (whihc is very tough!). I blame my attorney for not submitting the documents properly. The embassy my wife will be going to attend the interview is in Chennai, India

Also, is there is a website that will tell me the latest processing times for K3 visa?

Anecdotal evidence suggests current time estimate, from the day of filing to the K-3 interview, to be around 4 - 5 months. The time each consulate takes to schedule the K-3 interview varies with location and is based on their backlog. It took around 2-1/2 months for our process to be completed once the approved visa petition reached the US embassy in Delhi. I've heard it takes less time in Chennai.

Good luck!

americandesi.

K3 timelines

Hey guys!

I've been looking at this thread for sometime, thanks for all the usefull posts .........

SMReddy2003,

check out this website and share your experience also,

http://www.mediabrew.com/k3/list.php

I'm waiting for my I-130 NOA1 so, I'll be posting my timeline as soon as I get it .....

saadq17

Originally posted by americandesi
Anecdotal evidence suggests current time estimate, from the day of filing to the K-3 interview, to be around 4 - 5 months. The time each consulate takes to schedule the K-3 interview varies with location and is based on their backlog. It took around 2-1/2 months for our process to be completed once the approved visa petition reached the US embassy in Delhi. I've heard it takes less time in Chennai.

Good luck!

americandesi.
Hi americandesi,
Can you tell me where did u file for your I-129f from please.

Thanks