• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS Vs. CP

d2tmd

Hi all,

First up, thanks for all the information - there is so much to sift through! I'm sure this has been posted before, so feel free to point me in the right direction of an existing post:
My husband has just won the DV Lottery. We're in the Oceania category. We're currently living in New York on an E3 visa and trying to (hurriedly) decide whether to go AOS and stay in the US or head back home to Australia to do Consular Processing. Our major concern about AOS is timing (he has a case number in the 300s, but we're still worried about not getting finished in time that visas are all gone). Our major concern about CP is having to be away from our dog and lives for a period. We've heard people in our situation be told to go back to Australia and some lawyers have just told us (unequivocally) to stay here.

So, my questions:
1. Does anyone have an opinion on which way we should go and why?
2. How long would we need to be back in Australia? Does anyone have an awesome guide to CP like the one posted in the AOS threads by Sm1smom?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

First up, thanks for all the information - there is so much to sift through! I'm sure this has been posted before, so feel free to point me in the right direction of an existing post:
My husband has just won the DV Lottery. We're in the Oceania category. We're currently living in New York on an E3 visa and trying to (hurriedly) decide whether to go AOS and stay in the US or head back home to Australia to do Consular Processing. Our major concern about AOS is timing (he has a case number in the 300s, but we're still worried about not getting finished in time that visas are all gone). Our major concern about CP is having to be away from our dog and lives for a period. We've heard people in our situation be told to go back to Australia and some lawyers have just told us (unequivocally) to stay here.

So, my questions:
1. Does anyone have an opinion on which way we should go and why?
2. How long would we need to be back in Australia? Does anyone have an awesome guide to CP like the one posted in the AOS threads by Sm1smom?

Thanks in advance!

The concern about not having enough time for AoS is kinda daft. The OC300 number will be current by November or December at the latest, which will give you most of the year to complete the process. We have had cases go current in September (the final month) and be through AoS in time. As for OC visas running out, well, we don't don't the max case number assigned, but with the numbers we have seen so far I think they have kept below 1000 again, which means ZERO chance of running out of visas.

If you do decide to return for Australia for the CP I highly recommend using trustedhousesitters.com for your pet and keeping your house safe.

I don't have a solution for being away from your careers however, so indeed AOS might be the way forward. Best of luck :)