• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS or Consulate if I seek asylum?

Katsia

I am a DV 2005 winner, case number is high -- EU 218**. I have been always legally in the US on F1. I also filed for asylum a year ago, and my case is pending. I would like to go through consular proceedings rather than AOS in the US, because I herad AOS is more slow, especially if you have a high case number, but I am afraid I won't be able to return to the US in case something goes wrone and I don't get my lottery green card in the consulate. These are my questions:

1) Could you apply for AOS first, and then switch to Consular proceedings, if you see that AOS is too slow? How much time delay will I have?

2) Is my asylum claim abondoned, if I go through consular proceedings? (I was told by attorney that as soon as I file for AOS based on the lottery my asylum claim is abondoned by the INS, but may be if I am doing through consulate my asylum claim is not abondoned?)

3) Could I get an advance parol as an asylum seeker, so that I am able to leave the US, have an intervew in the consulate, and then come back in case I don't get a green card through the lottery? What reason for travel should I state when i am applying for advance parol? Could I state that I need the advance parole to get a green card interview in the US Consulate abroad?

4) I guess, I won't get a non-immigrant visa in future if I leave the US without the advance parole, plus, my asylum claim will be abondoned. Is it true?

Thank you very much for any help!
Katsia