• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS for DV and for EB

jbendaou

Registered Users (C)
hi there,
Lets start with this. I started my green card ( I was on h1 for 7 years) process with the company I work for last july2007 (Nebraska field office). I submitted my i485 (eb3)...so I got my work permit around october2007 and my parole in feb 2008.
a few weeks before I applied for the adjustment of status in july 2007; I received a notification that I won the dv 2008 ( AFRICA, 13,XXX; my number is now current).
when I contacted a new lawyer to do my dv 2008, she told me that even if I apply for AOS for the dv2008, it would not make a difference because I already applied for the AOS through work (eb3) and that if I applied for AOS for the dv2008, both applications will be going at the same speed (and I would be just wasting money for no reason)...and I am in a better shape with the eb3 application because I started it back in july 2007.

now this is where I am confused. isn't the visa number for the eb3 different than the one for the dv2008?
since my dv2008 number is current, isn't it supposed to go faster (if I applied) than the eb3 (eb3 is backlogged)?
I don't understand the coloration between the process of eb3 and the process of the DV 2008.
if i understand what the lawyer was saying correctly, there is no point for me to do the aos for the dv 2008 because i would be stuck exactly where i am with the aos of EB3...how are the two are corolated??
then how can one finish the DV(2008) by the end of the USCIS fiscal year?

please help!

Hi jbendaou,

In my opinion the lawyer whom you spoke to didn't give you the correct information. There are a few of us out here in these forums who are in the similar situation as you are - won DV lottery while AOS via employment is pending. Please take a look at the thread - http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=251543
A lot of good information by people who have done or doing DV based AOS application and some of them have already got their GC approvals. In my opnion you should sent a complete I-485 package with fees, medical exams etc. as soon as you can. As far as I know, DV based cases are processed independent of the other AOS cases and are given priority because of it's time constraints and some people even were able to speed up their application process (or to the very least get some feedback/status) by going through their local senator's/representative's offices etc.

hi there,
Lets start with this. I started my green card ( I was on h1 for 7 years) process with the company I work for last july2007 (Nebraska field office). I submitted my i485 (eb3)...so I got my work permit around october2007 and my parole in feb 2008.
a few weeks before I applied for the adjustment of status in july 2007; I received a notification that I won the dv 2008 ( AFRICA, 13,XXX; my number is now current).
when I contacted a new lawyer to do my dv 2008, she told me that even if I apply for AOS for the dv2008, it would not make a difference because I already applied for the AOS through work (eb3) and that if I applied for AOS for the dv2008, both applications will be going at the same speed (and I would be just wasting money for no reason)...and I am in a better shape with the eb3 application because I started it back in july 2007.

now this is where I am confused. isn't the visa number for the eb3 different than the one for the dv2008?
since my dv2008 number is current, isn't it supposed to go faster (if I applied) than the eb3 (eb3 is backlogged)?
I don't understand the coloration between the process of eb3 and the process of the DV 2008.
if i understand what the lawyer was saying correctly, there is no point for me to do the aos for the dv 2008 because i would be stuck exactly where i am with the aos of EB3...how are the two are corolated??
then how can one finish the DV(2008) by the end of the USCIS fiscal year?

please help!

Is it not better to get DV GC? It is more straightforward as a process, and once you get, no strings attached. With employer sponsored GC I think there are some loopholes? Like if you lose employment before process is done? DV sounds much safer from what I have understood.