Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

I found this document regarding the 5 year limitation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s0HR8rPxp1d0JsRUdyRUJyem8/view?usp=sharing
To summarize:
"Section 246(a) of the INA creates a five-year stat-
ute of limitations for rescinding a Lawful Permanent Resident’s (LPR’s)

status upon a finding that the LPR was ineligible for LPR status at the

time of adjustment and thus received the status erroneously. In situa-
tions where the limitations period has passed, this section has on many

occasions come into conflict with INA sections governing noncitizen

removal. This tension has resulted in a split among the circuit courts as

to whether the five-year statute of limitations that applies to rescinding

an LPR’s status acquired by adjustment of status should apply to

removal proceedings in which the Department of Homeland Security’s

claim for removal is that the noncitizen was ineligible for LPR status at

the time of adjustment."

More information: http://www.lawcourts.ca/can-federal-immigration-court-revoke-green-card-status/. Notice at the end of the website:
'the USCIS Adjudicators Field Manual that provides that “the fact that an LPR was not eligible for adjustment of status does not automatically mean that you must rescind the LPR’s lawful permanent resident status. If the LPR was not aware of the ineligibility and intended no fraud or deception in obtaining lawful permanent resident status, you may decide not to institute rescission proceedings, particularly if the LPR has accrued other equities during his or her residence. Once the decision not to rescind is made, the matter may not be reconsidered unless new facts are uncovered that were not known at the time of the original decision.”'​

You can Google "uscis greencard rescind vs revoke". There are some difference between those 2 words depending on the time you apply for naturalization. I read another doc but I forgot where I store it.

Last edited:
Thank you Baolocdo,
I am already passed 5 years as a Permanent Green card holder. now it has been 5 years and 4 months.
Can I go ahead and file 1447b or file a new N-400 based on 5 years?
I am afraid if I file new one they will take an other year or 2 to schedule my interview and I will find myself going through hard time again.
I wanted to file new one a year a go but Since they told me you can keep your file open so based on what I was told I sent a letter to keep my file open.
Please guys help?
So, as I understand correctly, you applied your N-400 while being married to the US citizen, then you guys got divorced and your N-400 was still pending.
Did you get your initial interview after divorce or before?
What might have happened, your divorce triggered a red flag and they just simply put you on indefinite hold.
I'm leaning towards your re-applying for US Citizenship based on 5 year rule. The problem is now how to close your old file (3 year rule).

So, as I understand correctly, you applied your N-400 while being married to the US citizen, then you guys got divorced and your N-400 was still pending.
Did you get your initial interview after divorce or before?
What might have happened, your divorce triggered a red flag and they just simply put you on indefinite hold.
I'm leaning towards your re-applying for US Citizenship based on 5 year rule. The problem is now how to close your old file (3 year rule).
I agree with nickoxx. I think you can just send a letter to withdraw your application. I wrote to USCIS a letter to cancel mine once and they replied pretty quickly

My lawyer e-filed 1447(b) on 4/5/2016. Do you know how long it will take them to assign a judge to the case?
Judge - should be assigned same day when 1447b was submitted, unless it was sent by mail.
In our case we got summons stamped/unstamped right at front desk by clerk.

Thank you Nickoxx and BAolocdo,
yes, I had initial interview 1 year and 3 months before divorce. Interview was In 05- 2013 divorce was in 08-2014.
Right after Divorce I sent a letter to USCIS telling them to cancel my N-400 because I got divorce. they Didn't send me any reply not in email nor in mail. I start waiting and waiting and waiting for about 8 months. I decided to do INFOPASS I went there and Officer told me that your file is still open not close. I said ok what I should I do, file a new N-400 or what's the deal, I said. the Officer told me no just send another letter and write down please don't cancel my file and keep it open. I did that I sent a letter telling them that

On 00, oo, 2015 I have done INFOPASS PIN 0000, at 00 am to inquiry about the application status if it was cancelled and withdraw ed. During said INFOPASS, the Officer made it known to me that his file is still open and in order to keep the file open you can send another letter to cancel the Withdraw Letter which previously submitted and have received by USCIS. To USCIS to notify that effective immediately cancel withdraw form N-400 I previously filed with USCIS Denver Field Office and keep my file open.

I did what I was told to do by USCIS. Now I stuck. I don't know what to do? I think it's true, it is a problem now how to close my old file (3 year rule) or just go a head and file new N-400.
why the USCIS told me a year a go it's ok your file still open and you can keep it open after all these time almost a year now. The officer was not telling me the right thing? why he did that to me? how I close my file now? is it going to take other years to start over and finish this project.

Thank you Nickoxx and BAolocdo,
yes, I had initial interview 1 year and 3 months before divorce. Interview was In 05- 2013 divorce was in 08-2014.
Right after Divorce I sent a letter to USCIS telling them to cancel my N-400 because I got divorce. they Didn't send me any reply not in email nor in mail. I start waiting and waiting and waiting for about 8 months. I decided to do INFOPASS I went there and Officer told me that your file is still open not close. I said ok what I should I do, file a new N-400 or what's the deal, I said. the Officer told me no just send another letter and write down please don't cancel my file and keep it open. I did that I sent a letter telling them that

On 00, oo, 2015 I have done INFOPASS PIN 0000, at 00 am to inquiry about the application status if it was cancelled and withdraw ed. During said INFOPASS, the Officer made it known to me that his file is still open and in order to keep the file open you can send another letter to cancel the Withdraw Letter which previously submitted and have received by USCIS. To USCIS to notify that effective immediately cancel withdraw form N-400 I previously filed with USCIS Denver Field Office and keep my file open.

I did what I was told to do by USCIS. Now I stuck. I don't know what to do? I think it's true, it is a problem now how to close my old file (3 year rule) or just go a head and file new N-400.
why the USCIS told me a year a go it's ok your file still open and you can keep it open after all these time almost a year now. The officer was not telling me the right thing? why he did that to me? how I close my file now? is it going to take other years to start over and finish this project.
I think your lawyer knows how to cancel and create a new one. It will take another normally 6 months to get to an interview and maybe many months/years to get the citizenship if there is any problem with your case like many of us in this forum.

Hello Nickoxx, Sergey, Baolocdo... the 60 days waiting time will be up by monday, still no reply from Uscis and the district attorney office ,.. i intend to call the district attorney again, should i file a motion for default judgement? or how do i go about it

Hello Nickoxx, Sergey, Baolocdo... the 60 days waiting time will be up by monday, still no reply from Uscis and the district attorney office ,.. i intend to call the district attorney again, should i file a motion for default judgement? or how do i go about it
I am not sure as I have just started suing. I got the judge assigned to my case. To my humble opinion, I'd bug them as the deadline is up. If they don't act, then they should lose their jurisdiction and the judge should decide.

Well, call your DC as well and check if there any motions at all. If not, keep on calling defendants' attorney office.
No answer from defendants'=most likely the judge will rule on you favor.

still no updates yet, but I checked the uscis website and saw the case has been scheduled for oath ceremony. saying the will mail the time, date and venue.

still no updates yet, but I checked the uscis website and saw the case has been scheduled for oath ceremony. saying the will mail the time, date and venue.
That sounds like a good sign! Let's wait a few days to see if you receive the letter before bugging them again.

I had my second interview today.

Same result - form N-652 with "decision cannot yet be made...".

So I guess now before DC files a motion I will have to work out a stipulation setting exact time frame for USCIS to make a decision.

Please tell what was a time frame in your case? Did you agree on 30 days or less?
Can you post here that stipulation you made regarding time frame and further actions if they fail to make a decision within that time frame?

Also I had to ask officer why it took them so long, but he didn't give me the answer. I expected it. Though he told me he understands my frustration because I was waiting so long. At least something. I advised them to offer two services "Regular processing" and "Expedited processing". Since besides regular processing fee of $680 I had to spend $$ to file a case, to send summons, and to get a traffic ticket disposition it would be much better if they could do faster processing and save my time (which I don't count already) and money. I don't know how many hours I already spent on this case after my naturalization interview back on Aug 2015. Considering I did 4 infopass appointments so probably I spent more that 24+ hours just to move my case. Obviously he told me that it's a system and you just can make any changes. Yes, I know. But I wish they could do something to work faster. Everything is possible in this life.

Assistant DA replied to my email and told me that she will include 30 days in the motion for the USCIS to make it's final decision. I agreed. She will send me a motion. I don't know when, but I guess within few days since time is running out for them. Now I'll just wait...

I had my second interview today.

Same result - form N-652 with "decision cannot yet be made...".

So I guess now before DC files a motion I will have to work out a stipulation setting exact time frame for USCIS to make a decision.

Please tell what was a time frame in your case? Did you agree on 30 days or less?
Can you post here that stipulation you made regarding time frame and further actions if they fail to make a decision within that time frame?

Also I had to ask officer why it took them so long, but he didn't give me the answer. I expected it. Though he told me he understands my frustration because I was waiting so long. At least something. I advised them to offer two services "Regular processing" and "Expedited processing". Since besides regular processing fee of $680 I had to spend $$ to file a case, to send summons, and to get a traffic ticket disposition it would be much better if they could do faster processing and save my time (which I don't count already) and money. I don't know how many hours I already spent on this case after my naturalization interview back on Aug 2015. Considering I did 4 infopass appointments so probably I spent more that 24+ hours just to move my case. Obviously he told me that it's a system and you just can make any changes. Yes, I know. But I wish they could do something to work faster. Everything is possible in this life.
Sergey, WTF? Why is your local USCIS office keeps giving you f***ing hard time? I was gonna congratulate you today, but it looks like they've put you on the limbo again?
Man, really sorry to hear that.

So, here's my final (corrected by myself) Motion to Remand: "The federal defendants move for a remand to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of plaintiff’s naturalization application which is the subject of the complaint filed in the above-captioned case so that USCIS can render a decision on the application within the next 14 days. Under 8 U.S.C.§ 1447(b), the district court has the authority to remand the matter to the agency "with appropriate instructions." USCIS conducted an additional interview with both plaintiff and her husband, ______________, on ____________, 2016 at the local Chicago office and is ready to issue a decision on the application. As the agency entrusted with adjudicating naturalization applications, USCIS has expertise in resolving these issues and it makes sense to remand it to the agency in order to take action. Plaintiff will not be prejudiced in any way since she has administrative and judicial remedies available to her if the decision is unfavorable and she wishes to challenge the decision. In addition, if no decision is issued by USCIS within 14 days of the entry of this order, plaintiff’s case can be reinstated.
ACCORDINGLY, the defendants respectfully request that plaintiff’s application for naturalization be remanded to USCIS so that the agency can issue a decision on the application within 14 days of the entry of this order."

Also, here's my Order to Remand: "Plaintiff’s application for naturalization is remanded to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS is instructed to issue a decision on plaintiff’s naturalization application within 14 days of the entry of this order. The case can be reinstated within 30 days of this order if USCIS does not act on the naturalization application within 14 days of the entry of this order. Each party shall bear its own costs and fees. Civil case terminated".

So, the term was 14 days for USCIS to render a decision (I've tried 7 days initially, but defendants' office didn't agree upon that).

30 days in your case is OK, I've seen on this forum even 60 days.
So, try to work out with DA stipulation similar to mine, but don't dismiss the case.
Did you have to pay other fees or what again? Didn't quite understand "At least something. I advised them to offer two services "Regular processing" and "Expedited processing". Since besides regular processing fee of $680..."

Congratulations, kamara1!
Still, surprised, that DA has never contacted you for the remanding/dismissing the case (in order to schedule the interview, since USCIS looses jurisdiction once 1447b has been filed). Strange.
But, what really matters: you have the Oath date scheduled! Congratulations again!

Sergey, WTF? Why is your local USCIS office keeps giving you f***ing hard time? I was gonna congratulate you today, but it looks like they've put you on the limbo again?
Man, really sorry to hear that.

I suppose it's because either case is not under their jurisdiction or they need to analyze documents that they requested me to bring.

I received this email from Assistant District Attorney:

"... We are including in the motion an agreement that USCIS will issue its final decision within 30 days of the court’s order remanding the case. I understand that USCIS is prepared to go forward with its decision even more promptly than 30 days...."

So I hope that it will happen soon. If only it's not a bluff. But for some reason I think that that assistant DA wouldn't just send me wrong information in order to get my agreement.

Also, here's my Order to Remand:

Please could you clarify what does it mean "your order to remand". Was it prepared by you or signed by you or how and when they get this order from you? I just don't understand this term and how it works.

Did you have to pay other fees or what again? Didn't quite understand

I mean that initially I paid $680 for my N400 application. Later when I filed a case I paid $400 to the court, about $100 to send summons and about $20 to get a disposition from the court in FL. So it's 680 and about approximately $520 above that. Plus gas, plus my time. So I suggested them to save time and money of applicants and start offering 2 types of services: regular and expedited. Expedited is more expensive and assumes much faster processing and applicant doesn't need to spend extra money besides initial payment. You know there are tons of software services which offer you multiple different accounts i.e. Dropbox. You want 2 gigs - it's free. You want more - you pay. Same thing here.

I suppose it's because either case is not under their jurisdiction or they need to analyze documents that they requested me to bring.

I received this email from Assistant District Attorney:

"... We are including in the motion an agreement that USCIS will issue its final decision within 30 days of the court’s order remanding the case. I understand that USCIS is prepared to go forward with its decision even more promptly than 30 days...."

So I hope that it will happen soon. If only it's not a bluff. But for some reason I think that that assistant DA wouldn't just send me wrong information in order to get my agreement.
Yeah, it sounds they have something, and I hope positive news.

Please could you clarify what does it mean "your order to remand". Was it prepared by you or signed by you or how and when they get this order from you? I just don't understand this term and how it works.
This is what the judge needs to issue (to send your case back to the USCIS, so they can render the decision).

Sorry I didn't get - I see in your order it's clearly stated "... Civil case terminated". So I wonder if your case was dismissed or not?
I was going back and forth with the wording, so finally I agreed to "Terminated". This is term used for the court to transfer the case to the USCIS.