Any May filers around?

Happy new year to all of you!

I am traveling tomorrow, to Venezuela... spend some time with my family and friends and ALSO, bring back some goodies... like chocolate, coffee, etc. I wish I could bring some gasoline (since it is only $0.15 a gallon! :eek:)... but either way, I sure looking forward to it, specially on the way back using my shiny GC and my new machine readable passport :)

Either way, happy new year to all of you, and best wishes and hope to those of you in NC.

hello

Hello guys!
I haven't been here for a pretty long time, just having a good time with my family. I am flying back to the US in 4 days, I wonder how this whole new process will look like: going through a different line, as a permanent resident...

Has Praetorian come back already??

Talk to you soon!

Hello guys!
I haven't been here for a pretty long time, just having a good time with my family. I am flying back to the US in 4 days, I wonder how this whole new process will look like: going through a different line, as a permanent resident...

Has Praetorian come back already??

Talk to you soon!

Yeah, I came back on Sunday.

You will be fine, you just need your GC and passport, it will be stamped "ARC" which means "Alien Resident Card".

Just make sure you don't bring Euros! ;)

... or złoty for that matter. ;) Welcome back Praetorian and Magda.

I have some exciting news too, my wife is quitting her job and will take a new job here in my city and we'll actually live together again (after 4 years long distance relationship followed by one year long distance marriage!).

Great news Austriacus! make sure she signs a pre-move-together agreement where you keep the tv remote and the access the the internet!

:D It sounds like your advice comes from personal experience? ;)

The agreement would probably be voided by the fact that we already lived at this place together as boyfriend and girlfriend way back in 2002, thereby making the remote and internet community property. But wait, it's a different TV and a different computer now!

Besides, my wife doesn't mind watching CNN and C-SPAN unless House or a Pokenmon movie is on (Jirachi, anyone?). About the internet, we still have dial up, so neither one of us wants to use it unless we really have to.

But moving together as a married couple now comes with a few other interesting challenges. Combining our car insurances ... seems like we had quite different coverage before and now we need to come to a consensus on the deductibles, coverage limits, and which optional insurance to accept or reject. If you thought immigration was difficult, try car insurance! ;)

Car Insurance... don't get me started :p

My wife also loves "house", so I got her all seasons on DVD and a portable DVD player... I keep the remote ;)

Hi back!

I made it, and it was easy. I was just worried about my GC with incorrect issue date, but I showed it and I was fine. Now, after the trip, I am planning to send it to USCIS and get a new one.

Praetorian, did you get the postcard? Just wondering....

Oh no.... Now I am disappointed! I sent it the same I sent it to my husband and he got it 6 days after I had sent it... Well, maybe you will still get it! If not, I will send you one from Austin ;-)

Congrats Austriacus!! So now you both will live in Austin?

Yes, now we both live together in our state capital, for one week already! We've already lived here together 5 years ago. But, it feels different when you're married! Plus, we got so much stuff over the years that we're starting to outgrow our little apartment!

Today I exercised a new right that I just found to have as a permanent resident - the right to give political contributions.

I ain't saying who I contributed to ... but the candidate reportedly received over $6 million in individual contributions since yesterday ... and now has 10 bucks more. Yes we can! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone!

I just remembered that I forgot to tell you that I received my corrected green card. I sent it on January 18th, and received a new one on February 7th.

Praetorian, have you finally received that postcard I sent from Poland?

Hey everyone!

I just remembered that I forgot to tell you that I received my corrected green card. I sent it on January 18th, and received a new one on February 7th.

Praetorian, have you finally received that postcard I sent from Poland?

Congrats on your second GC!

Nope... I never got the postcard :(

Congrats Magda! Way to go, giving us this news in such a timely manner. :p

Well, I have news too ... my wife voted for the first time ever, in early voting in the Texas primary. She leans republican, but let's just say I convinced her with very substantive persuasion to vote in the democratic primary by promising her the sweetest, softest lambie on Earth. After voting, we headed to the mall to pick out the lambie. This completes my wife's flock/herd of large and small, pink and cream lambies (the others were for her birthday and for Valentine's Day). My wife named the new one Obaaahma. :)

Oh, and I got to wear the little "I voted" sticker on me the next day, confusing the heck out of my co-workers! ;)

There are regional elections in my country too for which I thought I'd qualify (I never voted in my life - Austria has only recently made absentee voting easy enough) but it turns out I can only vote if I resided there in the last 10 years. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
finally approved

Finally my Green Card is approved , but I do not have any online updates , the approval was confirmed at the local office thru infopass and later i called the DAO who interviewed me , is it ok if i do not have any online updates ?? how much more time will it take to arrive in the mail?

Finally my Green Card is approved , but I do not have any online updates , the approval was confirmed at the local office thru infopass and later i called the DAO who interviewed me , is it ok if i do not have any online updates ?? how much more time will it take to arrive in the mail?

It should take 15-30 days! Congratulations :)