Any experience changing signatures ! !

hm11

Registered Users (C)
In US, on some forms it is indicated that 'sign your full name'. According to my experience many immigrants sign only their first name. I also sign my first name. I was wondering if one can change his/her signatures? Does any body has any experience?

According to the following web site:http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

"Before you sign the Certificate of Naturalization please understand two things:

1. Since most people don’t usually sign their name using their full name and since you only get one chance to sign your Certificate of Naturalization correctly, we recommend practicing your signature on a blank sheet of paper before signing the certificate. "

PLZ SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE. THANKS.

Originally posted by hm11
In US, on some forms it is indicated that 'sign your full name'. According to my experience many immigrants sign only their first name. I also sign my first name. I was wondering if one can change his/her signatures? Does any body has any experience?

According to the following web site:http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

"Before you sign the Certificate of Naturalization please understand two things:

1. Since most people don’t usually sign their name using their full name and since you only get one chance to sign your Certificate of Naturalization correctly, we recommend practicing your signature on a blank sheet of paper before signing the certificate. "

PLZ SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE. THANKS.

Unless you are changing the name in N400 application, I think you can continue using your original signature.

I plan to continue when it comes to oath ceremony.

I am one of those persons who sign only their first names. During the citizenship interview, the officer asked me to practise signing my full name on a scrap of paper and even showed me a sample signature, before signing the N-400 form in his presence. (Last page of N-400 needs to be signed in the officer's presence). The signature has to be legible (so they can read the name), and has to be full - first, last names.

I wonder if the same rules apply for naturalization certificate?

xyzUser

Last edited by a moderator:
xyzUser

Did you change signatures on the application (N-400) at the time of interview?

I would say that you sign the new signature on your Naturlization Certificate because the Officer made you sign new one.

I did some more research and found out that after changing signature you can also change Driving License by paying $10.00 (in New York) and have your new signature. PLUS you need to change signatures in the bank, credit card etc.

Did you do any more research on this issue?

I didn't change my name, just signed my full name. It may be that I have to sign my full name on the naturalization certificate but I don't think I need to change my signature on DMV license, bank cards, credit cards etc.

In fact, some of my friends (who are not yet citizens) had to sign their full names on mortgage documents. But they continue to use their regular signature everywhere else.

No, I didn't do any research on this topic. It seems not necessary. Did you do any research and are there any legal requirements that we start signing in full hereafter? I somehow doubt it.

xyzUser

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by xyzUser

In fact, some of my friends (who are not yet citizens) had to sign their full names on mortgage documents. But they continue to use their regular signature everywhere else.

This seems correct. When we bought home in MD the attorney wanted me to sign full name but when we sold it there were no such problems. :)

I still continue the old signature (read below. :), just kidding) on all other documents. We do not carry the naturalization certificate everywhere with us. So why bother?