Another TN Application

SonicBoom

Hi all,

I'm glad I stumbled upon this website as the postings seem to be current. I'd like to hear from other experienced people on this.

Let me explain my situation.
I'm currently in my third year on my TN status as a Computer systems analyst which expires later in 2015. I recently signed an offer from another company and I'm planning to fly over to Canada and apply for another TN with my new employer this weekend.

My questions are the following:
1. If they reject the application at the airport, would I be able to just drive down to the Mexican border for another try? I live in the San diego area but am flying only because the attorney recommended that I apply at a Canadian border.
2. Would rejection of the application negatively affect the current TN or my chances of upcoming renewal of TN with the current employer? I would think not but I'm just nervous about the whims of border officials.
3. My planned start date with the new employer is mid March. Does the start date matter as it will still be 2 weeks out at the time of the interview? For my first TN, I was warned about making sure the start date is within a few days of the interview. I'm thinking since I have a TN status already, it would not matter.
4. If I get approved for the new TN, do I still keep the current TN until the end of its original expiry? I plan to give my current employer 2 weeks notice when I get approved. I don't like to be in a situation where they cancel my current TN because I'm getting another one.

I'm pretty nervous about the upcoming interview as they gave me a real hard time for my first TN. I had to try three times to get this one!
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks.

My questions are the following:
1. If they reject the application at the airport, would I be able to just drive down to the Mexican border for another try?
Based on my experience- I will not recommend, better try to paper request.

I live in the San diego area but am flying only because the attorney recommended that I apply at a Canadian border.
Going to airport which has high approval rate is the best way. I always go to airport never drove to border.

2. Would rejection of the application negatively affect the current TN or my chances of upcoming renewal of TN with the current employer?
Technically it sould not impact till you can prove your intention to leave USA

I would think not but I'm just nervous about the whims of border officials.
Border officer can do whatever he wants. Just confident on your story and practice it.

3. My planned start date with the new employer is mid March. Does the start date matter as it will still be 2 weeks out at the time of the interview? For my first TN, I was warned about making sure the start date is within a few days of the interview. I'm thinking since I have a TN status already, it would not matter.
Two week advance should be fine even for new TN. As you are working it make more sense you can say need to provide 2 week knowledge transfer.

4. If I get approved for the new TN, do I still keep the current TN until the end of its original expiry? I plan to give my current employer 2 weeks notice when I get approved. I don't like to be in a situation where they cancel my current TN because I'm getting another one
Yes you can work for more than 1 client and get paid by them if you have TN for each client.

Trying to corect my suggestion as two weeks still pending I will just send paper application or max go for premium processing may cost more, however it will save you travling headache, ticket cost etc. It is just my opinion.
Two week advance should be fine even for new TN. As you are working it make more sense you can say need to provide 2 week knowledge
transfer.

Thanks for the response.
Everything is going smoothly as planned so far and I'll find out at the airport soon enough.
I'll consider the paper approach next for TN.

I received the TN status for the new employer. The process was a breeze at the airport.
I have another question for you people. I am keeping the current TN. I will more than likely be asked to work as an independent contractor for the current employer when time permits.
I believe I should be able to work for them in whatever capacity since I have the TN with them still.
Can anyone confirm that?

Thank you.

That is correct - as long as the job is the same. You would only need to alter the conditions if you eventually renew with them, on your new TN letter.