• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

An interesting detail in February VB

One offtopic question. Why Uzbekistan is in the region Europe for the DV lottery, as the country Uzbekistan is in Asia?
Does anyone know?
Interesting enough, Cyprus and Armenia are in Asia. Greenland is in North America. Those places plus other soviet republics are attributed to Europe for DV purposes.
Also, Kazakhstan is partly in Europe - it was unexpected to me. Turkey is 96% in Asia, but it is also attributed to Europe for DV purposes. Attributing those countries to Europe is done culturally, they more tend to have European culture.

Interesting enough, Cyprus and Armenia are in Asia. Greenland is in North America. Those places plus other soviet republics are attributed to Europe for DV purposes.
Also, Kazakhstan is partly in Europe - it was unexpected to me. Turkey is 96% in Asia, but it is also attributed to Europe for DV purposes. Attributing those countries to Europe is done culturally, they more tend to have European culture.

Cyprus is in Europe. As a matter of fact, it is a member of the European Union.

Armenia is considered to be in Europe too, for all purposes; not just DV.

Win does not guarantee obtaining a green card.

Now another time. In 1986-1990, people from the former Soviet Union showed sausage abroad. They flew there like flies.

Don't show your sausage abroad Sloner, a criminal record could affect your chances to enter the states.

Cyprus is half turkish and turkey is 96% in asia !

I've been to the Greek Cyprus, and enjoyed every moment of it. I wish I could experience the Turkish Cyprus as well, but apparently there's a "Berlin Wall" border check between the two parts not worth the trouble.

I've been to the Greek Cyprus, and enjoyed every moment of it. I wish I could experience the Turkish Cyprus as well, but apparently there's a "Berlin Wall" border check between the two parts not worth the trouble.

You better not try to cross the border still has land mines :(
Its pity like you say....
At least you can still cross the border from a state to an other in usa without
Troubles :) must make a turn there by me in kansas end the year I'm throwing a big party
All the family forum member are invited...
Ps: not dogs allowed :)

You better not try to cross the border still has land mines :(
Its pity like you say....
At least you can still cross the border from a state to an other in usa without
Troubles :) must make a turn there by me in kansas end the year I'm throwing a big party
All the family forum member are invited...
Ps: not dogs allowed :)

Cool. Never been there. Now I'll have a good excuse. I'll bring some bear :)

britsimon u really know the american pple!! Haha!!

I knew a woman whose family were quite well off and had taken her travelling to various places, but still she had no idea where the places were. So she had been on a cruise along the Panama canal. She did not have a clue where that was - probably somewhere in Europe she told me. The whole subject of "South America" made her head spin. Mention South America and she could NOT understand that was not to do with Texas or something. Interestingly she held a pretty responsible job in HR. The fact is, educating your kids about the world outside of the USA will be up to you....

more geography

Surprisingly, there are couple islands that are geographically located in the Caribbean, and are still part of Europe.

The islands of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are located in the Caribbean and are part of the Netherlands. (they are known as the Caribbean Netherlands) Therefore, they are part of the European Union and for DV lottery purposes, should be under Europe region

About Cyprus, there are two parts (north and south). The northern part is controlled by the Turks and the south by the Greeks. The southern part is a member of the EU, while the northern part is not diplomatically recognized by any country around the world as an independent country (except for Turkey). If you ever visit the island though, the passport checks between the north and the south is very loose and you can easily (not legally though) cross the border and visit the other side

On a different note, Israel, in some contexts considered to be part of Europe

Cyprus is half turkish and turkey is 96% in asia !

Hi guys, I have been reading your very useful information since the day I got selected in DV2014 and my joy turned to dissapointment when I realized what my enormously high number meant! 2014EU00052***. Anyway although I read the forum almost every day because the data analysis posted by some members is amazing, I have never posted anything into the forum as I am new to the DV visa "game" and my knowledge is limited. However today, I have seen my country being mentioned and some comments were touching some very sensitive aspects . First Raevsky, Cyprus is not by any means in Asia. You know we are part of the EU and the european economic zone right? Do you actually know where it is located?. Armenia is not even close to Cyprus. Second vladek15425 I am not sure if you are familiar with the historical events but Cyprus is not AT ALL half Turkish!! Cyprus is THE land of THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS where 1 000 000 residents of the island speak GREEK. In 1974 it has been illegally invaded by the turkish troops which are still illegally occupying ⅓ of the Island. The occupied part of cyprus is not recognized by any nation besides Turkey.

I truly apologize for my lengthy irrelevant comment but I as a Greek Cypriot where turkey illegally occupied my family's land and house in 1974 I really felt a bit offended.

Thank you and keep up the good work guys! I love reading your analysis even though my dv number is sky high and probably I have no chance!

Surprisingly, there are couple islands that are geographically located in the Caribbean, and are still part of Europe.

The islands of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are located in the Caribbean and are part of the Netherlands. (they are known as the Caribbean Netherlands) Therefore, they are part of the European Union and for DV lottery purposes, should be under Europe region

About Cyprus, there are two parts (north and south). The northern part is controlled by the Turks and the south by the Greeks. The southern part is a member of the EU, while the northern part is not diplomatically recognized by any country around the world as an independent country (except for Turkey). If you ever visit the island though, the passport checks between the north and the south is very loose and you can easily (not legally though) cross the border and visit the other side

On a different note, Israel, in some contexts considered to be part of Europe

Israel is not part of Europe. It's mostly for sports competitions that it has been admitted to compete in Europe because most Asian Muslim countries would boycott them.