Among the Ill Fated Anthrax Tainted mail from St. Louis.

map

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
My passport was among the ill fated mail tainted with Anthrax. Anyways I managed to go to NYC and get a duplicate passport. My question to you folks is:
1. Can I send my duplicate passport again to St Louis for Revalidation? I only have photo copy of my previous passport.
2. Is there any body out there who is a victim of the anthraxed mail?
Thanks all in advance for your help, comments and suggestions....
Rajesh.

It is not about repeating the mistake again!!

Hi Ray,
It is not a question about repeating the mistake again. I agree that there is a good chance that I might loose the passport again, but if I wish to get my visa in INDIA (that\'s where I come from), it would be like of the three weeks of vacation that I would be getting I would be spending like 14 to 15 days with this thought in mind as to what is hapenning with my visa at the consulate. Bear in mind that @ Chennai consulate, I believe that we can only mail the application in , and cannot attend in person.
Anyways thanks for your comment, I will bear that in mind as well, when I reach a conclusion,
rajesh.

Getting (duplicate) Indian passport

Rajesh/MAP,
My friend\'s wife\'s passport was sent for H4 renewal in Nov, 01 (with photocopies of her husband H1, passport etc). But, due to a better offer (& unsafe job here), my friend joined an Indian company and left for India, leaving his wife here.

We have been trying to get her passport back from St. Louis by sending faxes, but in vain.

Q1) How long does it take to get a new (or duplicate) passport from Indian embassy? She\'s now in San Francisco, so going to embassy is not a problem. Only problem is that she does NOT have a second identification (like US Drivers license etc).
Q2) Is there any number to reach St. Louis office and talk to some one and ask them to send the passport back (without the H4 stamp).

Please suggest. Thanks
ARK

No Title

call this number 202-663-1225 and dont press any key it will take you to Visa officer, most of time they ask first and last name DOB and will be able to give info like when it was received and what is the status of that , normaly it is taking 10-11 weeks to get back passport from revalidation .

Also going to india embassy wont do any good you should have good reason like lost (police report ) or damage for them to issue duplicate passport in case of Anthax tainted passport DOS had issued letter to All persons whose passport got affected with that

wait for some more days she will get back her passport very soon , Got back mine on 01/15/02 was sent to st. louis on 10/31/01 .

Waht is needed to Get Visa at New Delhi India

I am also in the same boat and need to travel to India with my family. Please let me know what is required to get a H1-B visa at New Delhi. I think at New Delhi you have to drop the passports. My concern is that I stay five hrs north of Delhi, if they call for an Interview I loose two more days. Also my original Passports, I797,I94 are with DOS affected by ANTHRAX.

How much time did it take for Indian Embassy at NY to issue the passport? Did you stay overnight at NYC? Did you pay the $200 fees for Duplicate passport

Thanks in advance

The Duplicate Indian Passport at the Indian Embassy NYC!!

Hi Big Brother,
I went to the Indian Embassy @ NYC first on Jan 11th 2002, i.e. a day after I got the fax from DOS stating that my passport was misplaced. Anyways the process at the consulate for a duplicate passport is a three to six month process. But if you have the urgency and can prove the urgency (like travel tickets / plans, etc), you can request the council to issue you a duplicate passport immedaitely.
Though bear in mind that you cannot meet the council the same day you submit the application for duplicate passport. Therefore I had to wait till Jan 14th 2002, and upon meeting the council on monday, I was given my duplicate passport by monday evening.
Yes I had to unfortunately pay the $200.00 for the duplicate passport, worth mentioning are also the cost to travel up and down to NYC, and the misc. expnd that goes in visiting a city like NYC.

As for your first question, you will have to talk to someone regarding the I797, I94, etc. I am sure it would be cause for at least a little concern.

Hope this helps,
Rajesh.

Same boat...

Hi Rajesh,
Thanks for your info. I also "lost" my passport on Anthrax. Today I got the DOS letter. My family, in India are waiting to join me. So I have sent the DOS letter and other doc today to my wife in India, hoping that, they will get the H4 Visa(DOS assured of the same..) Huston Indian embassy says it will take 2/3 months to issue new PP to me. At this point of time, I want to complete my family\'s H4 issue and then take up my PP issue. However, by May/Jun I need to go to India and I need to start this PP fomalities also..

ANTHRAX

Hi Map,
Why did you not call the embassy at NYC and ask them , if you can mail your application for duplicate passport and phone them before going to NYC? I think these guys are taking us for a ride. The people at Indian embassy are here to help us. I E-mailed the Head of embassy after talking to an arrogant woman a day before, she talked like helping me. I talked to the person at DOS, she told me I can apply at St. Louis but has to wait for another 12-14 weeks to get the visa revalidated. Looks like talk to a Congressman... The fault of Antrax as told to me by DOS lies with none of us then why we have to suffer??
Give me your private E-mail so that we can talk to in detail..

Thanks for you input

Ram

My thoughts and experiences...

Hi Ram / Raghunath,
I did call the Indian embassy and talk to them before going over to NYC. When applying for a duplicate passport, the applicant has to do it in person at the embassy. I would like to believe that the Indian Embassy is here to help us…
The staff are not that helpful at the embassy, but I think it is attributed to the ignorant, uncivilized and careless people they have to handle everyday all through the year. In contrast talking to the councilor was a much more pleasant experience.
It is nobody’s fault that our applications got anthraxed, but at the same time there is little there can be done to speed up our applications at the DOS, that is what the lady at DOS said to me.
And Raghunath, at any point of time, you can go to the Indian Embassy and by proving your urgency you can get the duplicate passport immediately.
I think if we speak it out at this discussion, we will do a better job at helping someone else in this situation, so lets keep our discussions at the forum,
Thanks for your responses,
Rajesh.

Passports received

Hi every one,

Initially Mine was also among the anthrax listed passports, However it was found later and i received the passports back on thrusday ie 01/17/02. sent to dol st.louis on 26 october 2001.

I wanted to get a duplicate passports and the indian consulate guys said we have to pay approx $200 dollars etc . I suggest if you guys don\'t have an urgent need pl. wait it is most likely you will get the passports.

This forum has been very helpfull . Thanks for all the information.

Best of luck.

thanks
anil

DOS Number(s) please

Guys

Could you please tell me what number you called to talk to an operator? I have tried (202)-6631225. After the message, it disconnects. Are there any other numbers?

It would be of great help if I can find the whereabouts of my friend\'s passport.

Thanks
ARK

202-663-1225

I talked to the lady at DOS by dialing the number you have mentioned. Guess I was lucky then,
Keep trying, you should get through soon enough,
Rajesh.

Received Duplicate Passport..What should I do for I94

Hi Ray,

I remembered writing to you. I am also a victim of anthrax decontamination. I received a letter from DOS and obtained a duplicate passport. NY Indian consulate issued me a passport on the same day with one year validity.

I am planning to travel in April. As I don\'t have my I94 with me now, Can I return xerox copy of I94 with DOS memo while leaving US. Will that be acceptable?. Any Idea?

Hi map,

I too belong to Chennai Consulate. Will Chennai accept copy of I797 for visa stamping as we don\'t have original? Normally they don\'t. They should treat this case as a special case. Do you have any Idea on this?

This forum is very useful as people are gathering.

Is Passport Stamped

Map,

Do you know whether chennai consulate accepts copy of I797 for visa stamping. I am not sure.. According to DOS, we should get stamped only in India. Please let me know, if you have already got stamped.