Am I out of Status?

akshwin

Am I out of Status? I am on an H1B status working in the US. In May00, I accepted my Canadian PR by landing and returned back to the US. At that time, I received a new I-94 card from an US immgr. officer in Toronto which states my H1B validity till end of 2001. I re-entered Canada in August00 for sometime and had to go to my home country(India) from there for couple of weeks. I returned back to Canada and right away made my way back into the US via the Canadian border to my job in the US. The question I have is: Should I have received a new I-94 card again upon entry back into the US this time? or is the I-94 card which I received when I landed and returned to the US in May00 still valid. Someone told me that I should have received a new I94 card since I left for India which is outside North America. I believe I can use my Canadian PR "visa exempt" status to exit and re-enter the US via Canadian border, right? But should I have gotten a new I-94? I am halfway through the process of obtaining an US green card through my employer and have decided not to keep the Canadian PR on receipt of US. So am I out of Status with regard to US immigration laws and will it hinder my US GC??

No Title

When you re-entered Canada in Aug\'00, did you use your Canadian PR? If so, I think you played your game safe. I don\'t see any reason to worry. Since you did not surrender your I-94 at the border before re-entering Canada there was no way they could make out you were out of the US unless they check your passport, which is very unlikely.

During your green card passport stamping, I don\'t think any body examines your passport page by page.

DW

No Title

Thanks for the reply......Yes, that is correct, I used my Canadian PR whan I re-nentered Canada in Aug00. Also, I used it again when I came back to the US at the US/Canada border(after my trip to India).

So, do you think my previous I94 card is still valid or does my trip to India render it invalid?

The reason I am worried is that I have to submit copies of my passport to the INS for I-485 process and it has a port of entry stamp from India dated Aug2000 indicating that I was out of North America.
Somebody told me I should have gotten a new I94 card in August00 upon entering US as I went outside of North America. Is this an issue at all or am I being paranoid?

No Title

When I applied for my I-485, I don\'t rememeber giving copies of all pages of my passport. You are being paranoid. Don\'t worry.

Good luck.

DW

No Title

DontWorry,

I am in this difficult situation and need your help

I am a canadian PR with pakistani citizenship, and currently hold Work authorization and advanced parole in USA. When I crossed border into USA as Canadian PR, visa officer at the border took my work Authorization card, I need to know if It will affect the processing of my green card in USA?

how can I get work authorization card back from INS?

thanks for your help !!