Am I eligble to buy firearm?

topgun999

Registered Users (C)
Hi,every one!

I am asylee status in U.S (not green card holder), am I eligble to buy firearm?

Thanks for answer.

buy a prayer wheel bro. practise love, care and compassion and not a gun to kill someone!
btw, u have to be US citizen too! that is still over 5 years away!

Yes we can

I bought mine when i was an asylee (now USC).......u shoudn't have any problem buying a rifle or handgun. for handgun they ck ur background, in NC, they took 30 days to verify evrything. I have no idea about ur state check with ur local sheriff's office give em a call .
best of luck

buy a prayer wheel bro. practise love, care and compassion and not a gun to kill someone!
btw, u have to be US citizen too! that is still over 5 years away!

buying a gun does not automatically mean that you want to "kill" someone.... helloooo

U r right Mr.Lazer................self protection is ur right which is given to u by our Constitution.Thanks

You do not have to be USC to buy and own a gun. And yes if a burglar come to my home and my or my family lives are threatened I will kill the bugger!

The federal law allows even a non-immigrant to purchase a gun (riffle or shotgun only) withs some exceptions.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#nonimmigrant-possession

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;

nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;

certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;

officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;

foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and

persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien cannot purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Department of Homeland Security (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) and (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 consecutive days immediately prior to the firearms transaction.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1]

An Asylee is not a non-immigrant thus the federal law permits the purchasing and owning of a gun. However, one should check the laws at state level as well as the state laws concerning CCW (carrying a concealed weapon) permits!

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922
http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

Here at the forum there are quite few people owning guns, maybe someone will shed some more light on the subject. There are also old posts regarding the question.

Yes you legally can. I bought my collection while under asylum status (all through local retailers) and underwent the FBI background check.
The only issue is you will run into gun stores that are not very knowledgeable with firearm laws and will deny you the purchase unless you show them a "Green Card" - regardless of whether FBI approves you or not.