Am I already a US citizen?

yan2396

Hello,
Sorry if this question has been posted before but every situation is different.

I am planning to get my citizenship but I was told that I may already be a US citizen through my parents since they got their citizenship before my 18th birthdate. Here's a little about me:

I cam to the US in 1985 as a permanent residence.
I was born in July 8, 1983
My Dad got his citizenship in 1998
My Mom got her citizenship in 1999
I turned 18 in July of 2001.

So there is a test on the USCIS website, and after answering a few questions, it said I can not derive citizenship through my parents. According to my research, I believe that I am already. Can someone clarify this for me? I don't want to apply for the wrong form and loose my money.

Thanks

You became a citizen when both of your parents naturalized and you were under 18, so in 1999. The rule for derivative citizenship between 1978 and 2001 is that if you are a permanent resident living in the US under 18 and both of your parents naturalize, then you automatically became a citizen. (The rule since February 27, 2001 only requires one parent to be a citizen, so you would also have gotten citizenship through that if you didn't already; but in this case you already got citizenship through the previous rule.)

I took a Citizenship Certificate Qualification Quiz and when I answered the questions, it says I can not use for N-600.

Whatever quiz you took doesn't have information about the older rules. You got citizenship under the former INA 321.

Also note that it is not mandatory for you to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship (with N-600). As a US citizen, you can apply for a US passport directly at any time.

yan2396 did you "yan2396, post: 2425249, member: 393776"]Hello,
Sorry if this question has been posted before but every situation is different.

I am planning to get my citizenship but I was told that I may already be a US citizen through my parents since they got their citizenship before my 18th birthdate. Here's a little about me:

I cam to the US in 1985 as a permanent residence.
I was born in July 8, 1983
My Dad got his citizenship in 1998
My Mom got her citizenship in 1999
I turned 18 in July of 2001.

So there is a test on the USCIS website, and after answering a few questions, it said I can not derive citizenship through my parents. According to my research, I believe that I am already. Can someone clarify this for me? I don't want to apply for the wrong form and loose my money.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

yan2396 how did it go did you ever apply for the US passport?