• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

After getting the DV visa

khaobadhi

Registered Users (C)
I want to know the process of after getting the dv entry visa. Is there a validity date of the visa? How much time do I get to be prepared?

After reaching US, how long does it takes to get a green card? Is there any limitation that I have to be in US for certain amount of time/years after getting GC?

2009AS00027xxx

Yes, there is a validity date for that visa and it is 6 months. You HAVE TO enter the United States within that time period and activate your Green (Permanent Resident) Card.

You don't know, it might take weeks, it might take months. Different people have had different experiences.

To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you CAN NOT stay out of the United States for a period longer than one year. You can stay out for a longer period if you get a re-entry permit.

But please do remember that everytime you do this, your citizenship clock will be set back to 0.

And, if you don't want to stay in the United States, why bother with this process at all?

Yes, there is a validity date for that visa and it is 6 months. You HAVE TO enter the United States within that time period and activate your Green (Permanent Resident) Card.

You don't know, it might take weeks, it might take months. Different people have had different experiences.

To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you CAN NOT stay out of the United States for a period longer than one year. You can stay out for a longer period if you get a re-entry permit.

But please do remember that everytime you do this, your citizenship clock will be set back to 0.

And, if you don't want to stay in the United States, why bother with this process at all?

Oh mitra,

1. How long will it take to get re-entry permit done, I know we required to give biometric !

2. Can I apply for re-entry permit immediately after I entered in US ? I mean very next day ?

3. Does place (state) play any role for chances of getting quicker appointment for biometric ? if yes, for example... ?

Oh mitra,

1. How long will it take to get re-entry permit done, I know we required to give biometric !

2. Can I apply for re-entry permit immediately after I entered in US ? I mean very next day ?

3. Does place (state) play any role for chances of getting quicker appointment for biometric ? if yes, for example... ?

Check "Life After Green Card Forum"
http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

This is a thread I posted about my experience with re-entry permit process
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=295154

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am in europe and still have 2 years of study so thinking if I can complete my studies and move to US. Is it possible to get GC and come back and then go there for a month before 1 year and then come back again? What is the procedure?

Darkhourse, when did you get your second letter? I haven't received it yet.

If you are going away for two years, it is best that you apply for a re-entry permit.
A re-entry permit allows you stay out of US upto two years from date of issue.

Thanks buwalagos for your suggestion. About police certificate, should I get it for my spouse also or for me only? Do I need certificate of my home country also or only from the place I am currently residing?

Khaobadhi
u also need a police clearance for ur spouse.Sure u need it for all countries that u have stayed for more than 6 months except USA

There is one possible gotcha here. The medical report is only valid for six months. As you will probably have this issued before the visa issue date, you will have less than six months to enter the U.S. from visa issue.

In my case my medical clearance was issued one month before my interview date. The U.S. consular officer advised me I have ~five months to enter the U.S. from my visa issue date.