After completing TN visa term, what happens to my SSN?

justifun

Registered Users (C)
After i've officially left the country completing a TN visa, what am i supposed to do about my social security number? Do i need to cancel it? Or is that assigned to me forever? What if i go back someday on another TN or something?

SSN is assigned for life and one cannot cancel it. You will continue to use the same number next time you are in the US.

... and even if you never work in US again, if you worked part of 2 calendar years in US, you will get some small SS when you retire, so keep the number handy, and ask periodically for a report on your SS contributions.

Nelsona, where did you find that info, I have been looking through US SS regs and see something about a reciprocal agreement, but how does that work, just wait until you retire, send in request to US SS from an address in Canada?
Does anyone know who to contact about this?
Unfortunately, I am closer to that date than I might want to admit, but good to know now.

Nelsona, where did you find that info, I have been looking through US SS regs and see something about a reciprocal agreement, but how does that work, just wait until you retire, send in request to US SS from an address in Canada?
Does anyone know who to contact about this?
Unfortunately, I am closer to that date than I might want to admit, but good to know now.

This is really old, 1984, but gives you the general outline:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/ic84-6/ic84-6-e.html

Thankfully the US SS Admin has MUCH better information:
http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/canada.html

I know SS is paid on a sliding scale depending on how many years you've worked prior to the claim. Maximum SS amount is paid upon retirement if you have worked at least 10 years in the US.
This is calculated by quarters worked.

Just to clarify, maximum SS is paid by work MUCH more than 40 quarters. 40 quarters is merely the minimum required to be eligible (unless a treaty gives you benefits earlier).

The more your work/contribute over 40 quarters, the more you get.