After Citizeship, need to report to SSA?

porkman

Registered Users (C)
Got my citizenship today. On the oath ceremony, the officer specifically asked us to report to SSA (Social Security Agency) about our change of status. I went to the office immediately after the ceremony, but there was a such a long line, so I came back. My question is: do we really need to report to SSA? I didn't change my name for the citizenship application.

You do not have to...but is in your best interest to do so at some point in near future...

My suggestion is 1st secure US Passport or US Passport card, so you have additional proof of citizenship document(s) in case something happens to citizenship certificate.

I went the next day after my oath and the SSA lady behind the counter said it was too early. Come once you get your passport (by mail). Give it a few weeks after Oath.

Does your SS card still have the employment restriction wording on it? If yes, that is another reason to visit the SS office. In addition to updating your status in the system, they will issue a new SS card without the employment restriction. You can use that unrestricted card combined with a driver's license or state ID to accept employment, without having to show your US passport. That could be useful if your passport is lost, stolen, or expired when you need to change jobs.

But there is some data transfer that needs to take place between USCIS and Social Security before they can handle your update request properly. So wait a week or two after the oath before visiting the SSA. Go when it is not a Friday, as I understand Fridays tend to be busier than other days (and it was a Friday when you saw that long line).

I came back because of long line too. :( Got my US passport & citizenship many months ago.

I want to be all ready when I go back next week.

Do they ask you to fill out any forms? Or is you new US passport the only thing you need to show them, and they'll handle everything else?

Do they ask you to fill out any forms? Or is you new US passport the only thing you need to show them, and they'll handle everything else?

If your SS card still has the employment restriction wording on it, you need to fill out form SS-5 to request a new card. It can be downloaded from the SSA web site.

Otherwise, if you already have an unrestricted card, you shouldn't have to fill out any forms. Bring your passport and SS card to have them update your status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my citizenship today. On the oath ceremony, the officer specifically asked us to report to SSA (Social Security Agency) about our change of status. I went to the office immediately after the ceremony, but there was a such a long line, so I came back. My question is: do we really need to report to SSA? I didn't change my name for the citizenship application.

I can tell for sure that it is VERY IMPORTANT to update your new status with SSA. With E-verify system spreading to all companies, your updated status will help in proving your eligibility to work, especially for jobs that require citizenship. Also some benefits which are restricted to only citizens can be availed. Also, if and when the ICE or any law enforcement agency checks your status, SSA database is one of their sources of info. Updating federal databases will help you in times of trouble.

If your SS card still has the employment restriction wording on it, you need to fill out form SS-5 to request a new card. It can be downloaded from the SSA web site.

Otherwise, if you already have an unrestricted card, you shouldn't have to fill out any forms. Bring your passport and SS card to have them update your status.

Actually, I just updated my SSA card 5 years after getting my GC. I filled up the SS-5 form at home, but the officer at the local SSA office didn't require it. Just showed her my GC, and my old SSA card. She asked for DL to verify address. She then kept my SSA card, and printed me a receipt. Got my new SSA card 2 weeks later. I went there and waited for a few hours. But I saw people coming in with appointment, you guys should investigate how to get an appointment.

Actually, I just updated my SSA card 5 years after getting my GC. I filled up the SS-5 form at home, but the officer at the local SSA office didn't require it. Just showed her my GC, and my old SSA card. She asked for DL to verify address. She then kept my SSA card, and printed me a receipt. Got my new SSA card 2 weeks later.
Interesting. When I went to update my card a couple months after getting my GC, the guard at the front asked what I was there for, and when I told him it was to request an updated card, he said I should fill out the form (there were a stack of SS-5 forms on his desk). I told him I already have a filled-out form, so he said OK take a number and have a seat.

When my number got called, I went into another section of the office and the lady took the form from me and used it to look up something on the computer. She then took my GC and cross-checked it with what she was seeing on the computer and what I wrote on the form.

So in that office it was apparently mandatory to use the form for such a request. But where you went it wasn't required.
I went there and waited for a few hours. But I saw people coming in with appointment, you guys should investigate how to get an appointment.
I got through in about half an hour with no appointment.

Interesting. When I went to update my card a couple months after getting my GC, the guard at the front asked what I was there for, and when I told him it was to request an updated card, he said I should fill out the form (there were a stack of SS-5 forms on his desk). I told him I already have a filled-out form, so he said OK take a number and have a seat.

The same thing happened to me. When I went to the SSA office, there was a line of about 60-70 people and everyone had to fill out an SS-5. I guess the rules vary from office to office.

I went to the SSA office immediately after my oath ceremony back in June and had gotten my status updated with them. Should I be expecting to get a new SS card in the mail? It has been 5 weeks now and I am beginning to think that maybe they don't actually send a new one out. I had just assumed they would. When I did get my GC some years back, I had updated my status with SSA and had gotten a new SS card that had no employment restriction text on it. So that still applies to me obviously and so will continue to use that for official purposes.

You won't get a new card, since you already have a card without the employment restriction. They only updated your status in the system.

Oh ok, thanks for that clarification, Jackolantern. Anyway I do have the SSA printout from 5 weeks ago on hand as proof that I had gone to them (although it does not specifically say that I updated my citizenship status with them).