• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

After arrival - never ending questions

Hello SusieQQQ,

I have a question related to your above response:

You have mentioned the ELIS account will be probably 1-2 months stuck on "accepted".

I have been granted the DV visa and its expires 13 Feb 2015. I have just paid the USCIS fees $165 (today 18 Aug) and am planning to fly to US on 1st of Sep for three weeks to activate my immigration status and come back to finalize work issues before leaving permanently probably on Mar 2015 .

my questions:

1) Is there any chance to get the GC on the three weeks of Sep? and if i didn't what is my status?

2) same question for SSN?

3) In case if i didn't receive any of the above cards, would it be possible they mail it to the address that i have include in my DS-230 form (a friend address), and my friend receive it and mail it to me outside of US to enter US with it?

4) Not sure if i will be questioned by USCIS if i enter US after 6 months or 12 months after my Sep visit?

5) I need to open a bank account, can i do this without SSN and GC?

Sorry if any of the above is duplicate question, i did my best searching the thread for answers and your response is the closest thing i found.

1. Not likely. With it without the plastic GC your status is a LPR as soon as you're cleared by immigration at your POE.

2. Possible. However it's a good idea to visit the nearest SSA office upon arrival to confirm if an application is already in the system and if it is, they will write out your SSN for you.

3. Documents will be mailed to whatever address you listed regardless of wether you're there or not. Your grind may mail the documents, although USCIS strongly discourage GC being forwarded.

4. You will always be questioned regardless of how long you've been away from. As long as you have a good explanation pertaining to needing to go back and tie up loose ends, you will be let back in.

5. Yes without the GC. Most banks require the SSN, some don't. However, if you follow the suggestion in step 2, this shouldn't be a problem

Hello SusieQQQ,

I have a question related to your above response:

You have mentioned the ELIS account will be probably 1-2 months stuck on "accepted".

I have been granted the DV visa and its expires 13 Feb 2015. I have just paid the USCIS fees $165 (today 18 Aug) and am planning to fly to US on 1st of Sep for three weeks to activate my immigration status and come back to finalize work issues before leaving permanently probably on Mar 2015 .

my questions:

1) Is there any chance to get the GC on the three weeks of Sep? and if i didn't what is my status?

2) same question for SSN?

3) In case if i didn't receive any of the above cards, would it be possible they mail it to the address that i have include in my DS-230 form (a friend address), and my friend receive it and mail it to me outside of US to enter US with it?

4) Not sure if i will be questioned by USCIS if i enter US after 6 months or 12 months after my Sep visit?

5) I need to open a bank account, can i do this without SSN and GC?

Sorry if any of the above is duplicate question, i did my best searching the thread for answers and your response is the closest thing i found.

Your SSN card should arrive within that time (normally 1-2 weeks), your green card almost certainly won't. Your friend can mail it to you but, he can also keep it for you, because your stamped immigrant visa becomes a temporary green card for a year after you have entered and you can use that for re-entry. You can stay out for up to a year, but expect more questions if it is longer than 6 months.

Bank account - depends on bank - some allow you to open with passport as non resident, as resident you need SSN and usually proof of address, but different people report different experiences with different banks... You won't need your green card for a bank account.

Remember all your green card is, is proof of your status as a LPR. Your status does not change depending on whether or not you have the physical green card. And as mentioned your visa becomes a temporary green card on entry.

1. The Immigrant Visa in your passport becomes a temporary Green Card for 1 year upon approval (stamping) at the POE :)

2. Don't need SS Card for going in and out, mine took 1 week to come down

3. Your cards will be mailed to the US address your provided in your forms and/or at POE

4. You need SS number to open a bank account, and they have checked my stamped visa in my passport (I don't have the physical GC yet either and I got everything I needed done)

Hope this helps :)