• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

After arrival - never ending questions

piotr95

Registered Users (C)
Hi again everyone, please let me know if I shouldn't be posting in this category anymore, I don't really know where else to place this.

So I'm already in NV, it's going to be my 3rd day and the list of things to sort out just keeps growing... !

So here are some of my burning questions at the moment:

- Do I have to file the form AR-11 Change of Address with USCIS? I'm a new immigrant and this address in Las Vegas is my first one ever in the US. So do I need to file this? I would assume not as they got my address regarding where to send my GC to etc at the POE?

- Is there a way to track my GC and see its status? As in, has it been produced yet, when it will be on way to me etc? Also, is there a way to track my SS Card? I'm going to their office tomorrow anyway to make sure they received and started processing it, but I'd still be nice to be able to track it. :)

- Probably a question requiring the lengthiest answer: How do I go about applying for my Nevada driving license? And/or State ID? I've been reading the dmvnv website but I'm finding it awfully cluttered and not well structured or clear. I already hold a full Jersey Channel Islands driving license but I'm assuming this doesn't really matter and I'm going to have to do everything again here? Not that this surprises me, I was going to take up lessons anyway, I would just like to get a clearer perspective on the whole process.

- Last but not least, anyone can recommend a bank to open a bank account with and eventually get a credit card from? I realize that they won't give me one until I have some basic, good credit history first. What do I need to do to open said bank account?

Thank you again everyone, there's just way too much chaos going on right now with all these things building up one on top of the other. Hopefully the answers to these questions will not only help me but others, and in time I know that I'll be able to help other people with these things as well, once I've been through them myself :D

- Do I have to file the form AR-11 Change of Address with USCIS? I'm a new immigrant and this address in Las Vegas is my first one ever in the US. So do I need to file this? I would assume not as they got my address regarding where to send my GC to etc at the POE?

If you are staying at the address on record you are fine, only if that changes.

- Is there a way to track my GC and see its status? As in, has it been produced yet, when it will be on way to me etc? Also, is there a way to track my SS Card? I'm going to their office tomorrow anyway to make sure they received and started processing it, but I'd still be nice to be able to track it. :)

SS no, but it usually arrives so quickly. For green card, log back into the ELIS account where you paid your immigrant fee. It will be probably 1-2 months stuck on "accepted". When it changes to "optimized", things are happening. At that stage you can check your progress on the USCIS case status tracker (link at bottom of ELIS page) using the IOE receipt number from ELIS. It will then show you the steps in term of production, mailing etc. Usually around two weeks from going "optimized" to receiving the card.

- Probably a question requiring the lengthiest answer: How do I go about applying for my Nevada driving license? And/or State ID? I've been reading the dmvnv website but I'm finding it awfully cluttered and not well structured or clear. I already hold a full Jersey Channel Islands driving license but I'm assuming this doesn't really matter and I'm going to have to do everything again here? Not that this surprises me, I was going to take up lessons anyway, I would just like to get a clearer perspective on the whole process.

I've found in general dmv websites not very helpful to immigrants as much as tourists or new residents from other states. If you can't find the info on there suggest you call or visit and speak to a human.

- Last but not least, anyone can recommend a bank to open a bank account with and eventually get a credit card from? I realize that they won't give me one until I have some basic, good credit history first. What do I need to do to open said bank account?

Bank of America, Chase etc bigger banks with branches everywhere - may come in useful - I just prefer that to smaller more localized banks. You will probably want to start with a secured credit card to build up a credit history, Capital One do those. All these recommendations generic US rather than NV-specific.

The smaller regional banks are often kinder on immigrants and may give a $500 unsecured credit card. But you'll need an SSN first.

Agree with Susie on Capital One. I used them when I first arrived, and I still do.

Lol. Everyone has a problem with different banks. I have heard a number of people reporting it being much easier to open BofA accounts as new immigrants than with some other banks. (I'm with Chase, so not defending them because I bank with them)

Thank you, very helpful! :D

Capital One is more east coast and they are more of a credit card company but one good thing about Capital One - many of their credit cards don't have FX fees so you can pay your home country bills easily.

Capital One is more east coast and they are more of a credit card company but one good thing about Capital One - many of their credit cards don't have FX fees so you can pay your home country bills easily.

- why I mentioned them re the secured credit card. Did not realise they were more east coast though. Given that secured credit card is so important to new immigrants building a credit record, do you (or anyone) have suggestions for banks further west offering this? Chase don't.

- why I mentioned them re the secured credit card. Did not realise they were more east coast though. Given that secured credit card is so important to new immigrants building a credit record, do you (or anyone) have suggestions for banks further west offering this? Chase don't.

I recommend them strongly for a credit card, but as a bank, not so much. I've never even seen a branch.

Chase, US Bank, BOA, Wells Fargo, Citibank, HSBC,.. Bank of the West is a good Californian Bank...

I recommend them strongly for a credit card, but as a bank, not so much. I've never even seen a branch.

Chase, US Bank, BOA, Wells Fargo, Citibank, HSBC,.. Bank of the West is a good Californian Bank...

Chase don't do secured credit cards, I'm not sure many of the others do?

I have seen capital one branches, in NY.

Each state has its own rules. Some allow you to just take a written (computer) test and a road test on the same day, others require you to hold a learner's for a while. In the meantime, you can likely use your driver's licence from your home country - you can even rent cars with it.

Last but not least, anyone can recommend a bank to open a bank account with and eventually get a credit card from? I realize that they won't give me one until I have some basic, good credit history first. What do I need to do to open said bank account?

Among the big banks, Citibank is pretty easy. Wachovia was good too, but it's now been taken over by Wells Fargo and I don't know if the rules have changed for newcomers.

If you can do so (through your job or school, etc), I recommend getting an account at a credit union. They give better rates on loans (for cars, mortgage), they give better interest rates for savings, and they are generally much more flexible than big banks. A lot of them also don't charge you fees for having savings below a minimum (which big banks have adopted in recent years), so this can really be useful for new immigrants.

You generally need proof of your legal status and a photo ID to open an account. I know Citi and Wells Fargo give secured credit cards.

It's too late for the OP, but other people reading this thread who haven't migrated yet should consider getting an American Express card in their local country then doing an Amex global transfer after they arrive.

I've done it myself. Wonderful credit limit.

It's too late for the OP, but other people reading this thread who haven't migrated yet should consider getting an American Express card in their local country then doing an Amex global transfer after they arrive.

I've done it myself. Wonderful credit limit.

Would your previuos credit history with Amex count toward your US credit score if you do this?

Would your previuos credit history with Amex count toward your US credit score if you do this?

No, but since Amex give you a good credit card with a high limit you'll get a good credit score much sooner.

I've posted this elsewhere, but:
  • You need at least 6 months of credit history before you have a score at all. Until then you don't even exist and stand no chance of a loan.
  • The credit score used by banks is a FICO number. Any other numbers are just made-up and are nothing more than a guide.
  • There are three credit agencies Experian, Transunion, Equifax.

I would like to share my experience of changing address after arriving US with DV.

I filed AR-11 Change of Address to USCIS and received confirmation by mail in new address, before card production (I checked my case status regularly).
I also filed Forward Mail request to USPS and also received confirmation by mail in new address.

Then guess what? USCIS still mailed my green card to old address, and USPS flagged it as "undeliverable" since "the addressee moved and left no forwarding address"!! What !!

Now my card is on the way being returned to USCIS. :(

Lesson learned: before receiving card, never move !!

I would like to share my experience of changing address after arriving US with DV.

I filed AR-11 Change of Address to USCIS and received confirmation by mail in new address, before card production (I checked my case status regularly).
I also filed Forward Mail request to USPS and also received confirmation by mail in new address.

Then guess what? USCIS still mailed my green card to old address, and USPS flagged it as "undeliverable" since "the addressee moved and left no forwarding address"!! What !!

Now my card is on the way being returned to USCIS. :(

Lesson learned: before receiving card, never move !!

USPS cannot forward USCIS mail, especially the GC. They are forbidden from doing so, and it doesn't matter whether a mail forwarding request has been initiated with USPS or not.

USPS cannot forward USCIS mail, especially the GC. They are forbidden from doing so, and it doesn't matter whether a mail forwarding request has been initiated with USPS or not.

Thanks for clarification.

Anyway I called to customer center of USCIS, and my phone being transferred an officer.
The officer explained to me that for some unknown reason, their service center send my card to the old address despite having my new address in their system.
So the officer make a request to the service center to ensure my card being re-delivered to correct address.

Keep waiting...o_O

SS no, but it usually arrives so quickly. For green card, log back into the ELIS account where you paid your immigrant fee. It will be probably 1-2 months stuck on "accepted". When it changes to "optimized", things are happening. At that stage you can check your progress on the USCIS case status tracker (link at bottom of ELIS page) using the IOE receipt number from ELIS. It will then show you the steps in term of production, mailing etc. Usually around two weeks from going "optimized" to receiving the card.

I've found in general dmv websites not very helpful to immigrants as much as tourists or new residents from other states. If you can't find the info on there suggest you call or visit and speak to a human.

Bank of America, Chase etc bigger banks with branches everywhere - may come in useful - I just prefer that to smaller more localized banks. You will probably want to start with a secured credit card to build up a credit history, Capital One do those. All these recommendations generic US rather than NV-specific.

Hello SusieQQQ,

I have a question related to your above response:

You have mentioned the ELIS account will be probably 1-2 months stuck on "accepted".

I have been granted the DV visa and its expires 13 Feb 2015. I have just paid the USCIS fees $165 (today 18 Aug) and am planning to fly to US on 1st of Sep for three weeks to activate my immigration status and come back to finalize work issues before leaving permanently probably on Mar 2015 .

my questions:

1) Is there any chance to get the GC on the three weeks of Sep? and if i didn't what is my status?

2) same question for SSN?

3) In case if i didn't receive any of the above cards, would it be possible they mail it to the address that i have include in my DS-230 form (a friend address), and my friend receive it and mail it to me outside of US to enter US with it?

4) Not sure if i will be questioned by USCIS if i enter US after 6 months or 12 months after my Sep visit?

5) I need to open a bank account, can i do this without SSN and GC?

Sorry if any of the above is duplicate question, i did my best searching the thread for answers and your response is the closest thing i found.