affidavitt of support

inspiration

Registered Users (C)
affidavitt of support what does this mean :confused:

If im the US citizen who has signed a 10 year affidavitt of support for my spouse pending immigration status, base upon marriage

After 4 years the marriage fails.. i throw my spouse out of my house , she has no job no money and no where to go ..and she`s still in the country ..what are my obligations and responsiblities to her .. that i have to abide by

im not saying i have done this im just looking for answers

do i have to find her new accomodation?
do i have to pay any financial support ?
do i have to pay the spouse`s medical exspence`s ?
do i have to pay the spouse`s attorney fees ?
can the spouse sue me ?
none of the above ??
other ?

i would appreicate any replies to shine some light on this subject

She can sue you any time she wants, who will win depends on who has the best lawyer.

need more backgroud of your marriage in order to answer your questions properly. such as why you throw her out? whose fault? etc.

to be honest she is the us citizen.. im the immigrant
i just reversed the situation to see what the reply would be

after 2 years of marriage i found out the wife had a serious gambling problem .. which was putting us into finanical disaster
i tried to correct this by taking over the finances . ive tried to seek professional help for her but she refuses to go .. she continued to deplete the bank account for the following 2 years.. of course arguements start and she now requested divorce.. so im giving her one.. i came home after visiting my attorney
without notice she threw me out of our home.. (no harrassment or violence is involved ) she took the money.closed down our bank accounts ..i had just paid the house hold bills that week with what money i had .. i had no money and no place to go

thats why i asked the question .. im seasonally unemployed .
ive recieved no support or assistance from her
where do i stand
:confused:

What is your immigrant status now? permanent resident? or PR pending? What are you worring about? adjust your status or abuse?

ive recieved no support or assistance from her
------ Phone to police or go to shelter.

She has no right to throw you out if the story you told is true.

status is in pending removal of condition for permanant residency

i agree she had no right to throw me out .. but i didnt want to give her the oppurtunity to dial 911 and file a false complaint to have me removed

but the question still remains what obligations and responsiblities is she liable for under the affidavitt of support she sign

and yes the story is true and rather nasty i thought

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by inspiration
statuts is removal of condition for permanant residency
---When you file your I-751, No 864 is filed and needed, so affidavitt of support is not ralated to your case.

i agree she had no right to throw me out .. but i didnt want to give her the oppurtunity to dial 911 and file a false complaint to have me removed
-----so you dail 911 first. what would be the reason that she files a false complaint? if the marriage is in a good-faith and you marry her is not for edge into USA, keep all your envidence black and white.

what are u scared of? nobody can remove you, your evidence and lawyer can help you out.

im not scared of any thing i merely asked a question
which has not yet been answered ..

what does the affidavitt of support represent.. what good is it if its not enforced or put to use .. and what are the responsiblities of it

please a note .. this happened over a month ago so far ive survived due to the help of very good friends.. i dont dwell on what i could of or should have done .. this is today..

so lets define :whats the purpose of the affidavitt of support

As far as I know, I-485 is only useful before you got your conditional GC.

You said you have applied I-751, there has no I-485 needed when you file I-751.

affidavitt of support means when you first get into USA, your sponse has to financially support you no matter what in order to prove that you wont be an aborden for USA.

My understanding is that the purpose of affadivit is to ensure that the immigrant will not burden the U.S. government before the immigrant get U.S. citizenship. If you read the affadivit carefully, what it says is that the sponsor is responsible for and should reimberse the US. goverment if the sponsored immigrant accept any government support unless the immigrant dies, leaves U.S., or become a U.S. cotizen. It doesn't say that the sponsor has to support you (i.e. give you food and shelter money), but if you take money from government agencies, she will be asked to pay for it.

I am not a lawyer....