• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support - When, where, and why?

rafi-cairo

Registered Users (C)
Pretty much what the title says. Are these requested from all people in certain countries? I remember hearing about it and thinking I would need to present one, yet it was not one of documents required at the time of the interview. What if the interviewer had felt that I do not have the means to sustain myself financially in the US? I don't believe he could've scheduled another interview to get him a document that was not required initially.

Do you know what policies govern this?

Pretty much what the title says. Are these requested from all people in certain countries? I remember hearing about it and thinking I would need to present one, yet it was not one of documents required at the time of the interview. What if the interviewer had felt that I do not have the means to sustain myself financially in the US? I don't believe he could've scheduled another interview to get him a document that was not required initially.

Do you know what policies govern this?

If he felt you needed one, he would have asked you to get one and submit it to the embassy. You wouldn't have needed another interview. Exactly the same procedure as submitting any other document that was not at the interview but required or that the CO feels necessary to make a decision.
It generally was not asked for at my consulate but the CO did request them from people who they felt needed one.

Thanks a lot Susie. This makes perfect sense. One then assumes that if you have a high CN or if cut-off date is nearing, it's better to have one at hand during the interview (if you can get it) to save precious time that might mean the difference between getting the visa or missing out on one. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Thanks a lot Susie. This makes perfect sense. One then assumes that if you have a high CN or if cut-off date is nearing, it's better to have one at hand during the interview (if you can get it) to save precious time that might mean the difference between getting the visa or missing out on one. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Absolutely.