Affidavit of Support--What to do in my case

gcforsure

Registered Users (C)
I have just applied I-130 for my mother. But now I am planning to resign from my Job, get trained and get into another job. It will take couple of months or so.

In the meantime if I get a letter for support? how should I handle this.
My wife is working.

gcforsure said:
I have just applied I-130 for my mother. But now I am planning to resign from my Job, get trained and get into another job. It will take couple of months or so.

My wife is working.

There's a form that you can use in addition to the affidavit of support.
I believe it's there when the primary sponsor doesn't work or can't meet the poverty minimum, but a family member of the sponsor pledges to support the benefactor of the petition. It's somewhere on www.uscis.gov.

You can also get a co-sponsor who can do it for you.

omg_stfu said:
There's a form that you can use in addition to the affidavit of support.
I believe it's there when the primary sponsor doesn't work or can't meet the poverty minimum, but a family member of the sponsor pledges to support the benefactor of the petition. It's somewhere on www.uscis.gov.

gcforsure said:

My wife is working.

you need to find someone who would fill in affadavit of support and if you wife is in the same household she can fill in the affadivit of support for your mother.

as long as the income is more than 125% of poverty line you should be ok.

good luck

gcforsure said:

My wife is working.
This is what you need to do:
You fill out the form I-864. Note that you would send the tax return for 2005 when I assume you had an income above 125% of the poverty guideline. You are also required to send your last paystub or a letter from your employer to show that you have a job. If at the moment of filing it you don't have a job, then you need a joint sponsor whose income should meet the requirements. If it is someone in your household, like your wife, then she fills out I-864A, if the joint sponsor is someone else, then he/she fills out another I-864.