Affidavit of Support question

helpmeimmi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am an H1 B holder married to a USC a month back. My wife is a student and only has a part time income (below the poverty line). I have the following questions:

1. Can I fill I864A as a household member (even though I myself am the sponsored immigrant)? Also we have not filed any tax returns together as we have just recently got married.

2.I only have tax returns for the last two years, however the instructions on I864 says that you have to give a copy of last 3 years tax returns. Would this cause a problem?

3. My father in law is ready to sponsor me. His income is sufficient to comfortably meet the 125% poverty limit specified by INS. If we decide to have him as a joint sponsor, then would he have to file another I864 or I864A (as right now, he has the same residential address as my wife and me)?

4. If I do not show my income along with my wife's and just depend on my father in law's joint sponsorship, would this cause any negative impact on my application (would this in any way cause an impression that I might become a financial liability)?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

helpmeimmi

1. Can I fill I864A as a household member (even though I myself am the sponsored immigrant)? Also we have not filed any tax returns together as we have just recently got married.

You could but like you mentioned you father in-law can do it for you .. (saves you a lot of headaches).

2.I only have tax returns for the last two years, however the instructions on I864 says that you have to give a copy of last 3 years tax returns. Would this cause a problem?

INS looks for your wife's taxes (her being the sponcer) and if she is unable to provide the last 3 yrs of taxes she can submit a letter explaining why.

3. My father in law is ready to sponsor me. His income is sufficient to comfortably meet the 125% poverty limit specified by INS. If we decide to have him as a joint sponsor, then would he have to file another I864 or I864A (as right now, he has the same residential address as my wife and me)?

he will need to file the I864A

4. If I do not show my income along with my wife's and just depend on my father in law's joint sponsorship, would this cause any negative impact on my application (would this in any way cause an impression that I might become a financial liability)?

No it wont. as far as your father in law sponsers you .. you should be okay.

HTH