Affidavit of Support, I-864 Form,, help.

sabsap

Registered Users (C)
I am in the process of filing I-864 for my husband. I have a few questions which I am really confused about. My husband had temporary work visa, so we both worked and filed joint tax return last year. We have sufficient income as per the household/income requirement for the last year. However, i am unemployed now, so is my husband. While filing I-864, what income should I report ? The Adjusted Gross Income from last year's tax return ? Also, what do I write as current income, in Part 6 #5 ? Is recent pay stub necessary ? Otherwise, I will have to find a Joint Sponsor for filing the form. In thIe meantime, I got a mail from NVC to make payment for the AOS. So, do I send the I-864 to the NVC and not along with I-485 ? Thanks all, in advance.

There are multiple income questions: Income on last tax return, current income of the sponsor, current income of the immigrant.

For the first one you'll write the joint income from the tax return. But the other two will be zero, so you'll need to find a joint sponsor, unless you have enough assets (combined) to eliminate the income requirement.

For marriage to a US citizen, every $3 of acceptable assets offsets $1 of the income requirement. So if your household size is 2, the required income would be $19387, so you'll need 3 times $19387 = $58161 to completely compensate for zero income.