• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support: Form I-864 or I-134?

Katching

Registered Users (C)
Hey everyone,

I have a pretty major question for my upcoming DV-2010 interview.
It might have previously been answered, but my search didn't come up with anything useful.

Anyways, my question is regarding the famous 'affidavit of support' form. Basically there are two such forms in existence, the I-864 and the I-134.

I should first note that only the I-864 is mentioned in my "Appointment letter and immigrant visa interview instructions."
And I quote:
The following items are required for all visa types, except employment-based visas:
- Evidence of financial support: Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (and, if applicable, Form I-864a, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member), and supporting documents including, but not limited to: copies of tax returns or W-2s for the past three years, a notarized letter of employment. If assets are listed in form I-864, you must provide proof of these assets (e.g. financial statements or attestation letters from a financial institution, and, in th case of property, an appraisal of value from a professional organization authorized to assess property value).
- Original documents that establish a relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary for presentation to the consular officer. This includes, but is not limited to plane tickets, photos and correspondence in the form of letters or emails.

That said, everywhere I turn here, it seems as if everyone is referring to the I-134 form, also named Affidavit of Support.
It also looks like to me that these instructions are "general" instructions for all green cards, not specifically the DV Lottery.

My question is therefore the following:
Which is the correct Affidavit of Support form for the DV-2010 Lottery Visa interview?
Is it the I-134 form, or the I-864 form?
The I-134 seems much simpler and more direct, and the I-864 seems more thorough. Moreover there's again no mention of the I-134 form in my "appointment letter instructions"

Also, how does it work exactly?
By that I mean, should I be the one e-mailing the .pdf file of the form, then my sponsor prints it, completes it, signs it, and then mails it to me. And then I bring it to the Embassy during my interview?
Or, is the Embassy itself going to mail the form to be completed after the interview (sort of like leverage).

Thanks in advance for your answers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Form I-134! Not the other one. I-134 is the one to use for the DV lotery winners if you need a sponsor form.

Just for clarification purposes: I'm disregarding the instructions sent by the consulate and using the I-134 form instead.

Should I send the .pdf version of the form to the sponsor to be printed, completed and signed so that he/she can then send me back by mail the form?

Does the form need to be notarized or will his/her signature suffice?

Your quote is incomplete. I-134. You need to do everything your self and give it at the interview only if asked.

You don't have to have it notorized. But proof of assetts might be asked for or a check might be done on the person who signed the I-134 form.

Thanks for all your answers. :)

Your quote is incomplete.

How so?
Like I said above, there is no other mention in the 3-page packet about the Affidavit of Support.
I'm now assuming this packet is sent to all green card applicants (regardless of the type of GC applied for), hence why it didn't specify the difference between 864 and 134.

I'm sorry but I don't remember where I read that it is I-134 and I don't want to start reading about it all over again, but I'm 100% positive the I-134 is for DV and not the other...maybe if you read other threads you find it...

Thanks for all your answers. :)

How so?
Like I said above, there is no other mention in the 3-page packet about the Affidavit of Support.
I'm now assuming this packet is sent to all green card applicants (regardless of the type of GC applied for), hence why it didn't specify the difference between 864 and 134.

They were too lazy to make it complete, as they are not requred. What would happen than if you have the wrong papers at the interview, they will tell you to go and bring the proper forms before your case is continued.

I'm sorry but I don't remember where I read that it is I-134 and I don't want to start reading about it all over again, but I'm 100% positive the I-134 is for DV and not the other...maybe if you read other threads you find it...

it is also used for refugees cases that are approvable as parolees.

Affidavit of Support

Purpose of Form: To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States. The sponsor must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.
Number of Pages: Form: 2 pages. Instructions: 3 pages.
Where to File: You must sign Form I-134 in your full name. (Note: Signing Form I-135 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law). For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarize after you sign it.

Where you submit the form depends on whether the alien you are sponsoring is in or outside the United States and what type of application is being submitted. See the instructions provided with the corresponding application for detailed information on where to submit this affidavit of support.

Public Charge refers to "becoming dependent upon the government for the expenses of living (food, shelter, clothing, etc.). Following U.S. immigration law, an applicant is ineligible for a visa if he/she will be a public charge".

Check here for U.S. Department of State

Read More Here

1) Form I-864 is mainly used for family-based and some employment based visa application.
2) All other cases use the I-134 Affidavit of Support. Go to I-864 information to learn more. All other cases use the I-134 Affidavit of Support, including dv applicants.