• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

affidavit of support, bank statement

Hiring a lawyer is expensive.

no need to hire a lawyer. speeding tickets, DUIs, etc. are not considered crimes of moral turpitude and SHOULD not hinder the process of immigrating to the US. HOWEVER, consular processing is always risky as there is NO process for appeals and the judgement of the consular will decide every petitioners' case. when adjusting status in the US nothing insignificant such as traffic violations can be grounds for denial. with this said, such crimes as petty theft (say you stole a candy bar from a store when you were 10) IS considered to indicate moral turpitude and the odds of successful immigration are small to none......

@josh000 there is no simple answer to your question as the consular with jurisdiction over your case will make the decision whether he thinks you will become a public charge in the US. do some research on the subject of becoming a public charge and decide for yourself what the correct action is. you can take the risk of going to your interview without proof of significant savings or a job offer in the US, I've heard of many cases where the applicant isn't asked anything about their finances. HOWEVER, once in the US when you apply for a green card you will need to prove that you can either support yourself or you need someone who is willing to sponsor you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm,

STill not convinced there is a requirement since it doesn't list it in the DV selectee instructions.

There is no requirement listed that I need a US sponsor, or to show proof of funds to be above the poverty line for one year.

well, I guess you have nothing to worry about then.

@josh000 there is no simple answer to your question as the consular with jurisdiction over your case will make the decision whether he thinks you will become a public charge in the US. do some research on the subject of becoming a public charge and decide for yourself what the correct action is. you can take the risk of going to your interview without proof of significant savings or a job offer in the US, I've heard of many cases where the applicant isn't asked anything about their finances. HOWEVER, once in the US when you apply for a green card you will need to prove that you can either support yourself or you need someone who is willing to sponsor you.

When you arrive to the US, you do not apply for the green card! The green card is automatically sent to you once the immigration visa is activated at the POE.

I get that it is up to the consulate officer, and that they would like to see that I won't be a public charge. My point is that other people are claiming you NEED an affidavit of support which is true for some visa types, but there is nothing saying it is true for the diversity visa.

josh000, if you go to uscis.gov and click on forms you can find the instructions for filing form i-864, the affidavit of support. it states that all family-based and some employment based intending immigrants must complete the form and qualify under the criteria. it doesn't say anything about diversity based visas, but most if not all of the forms never mention diversity based. i would guess that most people are asked for proof of finances, but i'm sure in cases such as yours with 2 masters you wouldn't be thought of as public charge. it's better to be safe than sorry so i would determine what your consulate is ie. where you are going to apply for your visa and ask that consulate what the requirements are for diversity visas....

I get that it is up to the consulate officer, and that they would like to see that I won't be a public charge. My point is that other people are claiming you NEED an affidavit of support which is true for some visa types, but there is nothing saying it is true for the diversity visa.

if you have it all figured out then why are you asking?? just trying to help

what is your case number?
(put XXX instead of last 3 digits to preserve privacy)

It's not that I have it all figured out...I'm new to this process as I'm sure a lot of people are. I'm just stating that there did not seem to be a strict requirement for an affidavit of support or sponsor for the DV in the same way that there explicitly is for certain types of visas. I thikn it would be better not to give false information, i.e. for people to say you will probably have to show proof of support rather than assert that you definitly need an affidavit.

I just find it really strange that such a thing would be omitted from the dvselectee website if it were a requirement.

@kunato: 2012OC000012XX -- Given that they are doing up to 300 for the month of october, I figure my interview will be sometime around february.

josh000, i agree i think this is too important of a matter to listen to just anyone's opinion on an online forum, however given the fact that so few professionals are experienced in the DV process and that even USCIS has varying information, experience and procedure when it comes to DV...DV is like the ugly step child of the family that no one really cares about or gives any thought to...(I myself have spoken with 3 immigration attorneys who say different things and know little when it comes to DV) so I think no matter what doing the safe thing is always the best procedure....if you have no other option start saving up and do your best, i'm sure it will work out.. I guess the information that i am certain of is that when you adjust your status in the US you have to show that you can sponsor yourself, which makes me think that the process when doing CP should be no different. it could be that the state web site doesn't give information regarding the affidavit of support because the procedure depends on the consulate, not the US immigration law.

kunato, i have a question for you: are you still thinking of doing CP? and do you know if canadian consulates process diversity visas? i dont think they process any other type of immigrant visas...?

@kunato: 2012OC000012XX -- Given that they are doing up to 300 for the month of october, I figure my interview will be sometime around february.

Last year, 2012OC00012xx was due in June. They don't increase cut-off by the same number each month.

Just based on the assumption that if they do 300 a month, the 1200s would start in february. It's pure speculation and not backed by anything, but was just a guess.

josh000, i agree i think this is too important of a matter to listen to just anyone's opinion on an online forum, however given the fact that so few professionals are experienced in the DV process and that even USCIS has varying information, experience and procedure when it comes to DV...DV is like the ugly step child of the family that no one really cares about or gives any thought to...(I myself have spoken with 3 immigration attorneys who say different things and know little when it comes to DV) so I think no matter what doing the safe thing is always the best procedure....if you have no other option start saving up and do your best, i'm sure it will work out.. I guess the information that i am certain of is that when you adjust your status in the US you have to show that you can sponsor yourself, which makes me think that the process when doing CP should be no different. it could be that the state web site doesn't give information regarding the affidavit of support because the procedure depends on the consulate, not the US immigration law.

kunato, i have a question for you: are you still thinking of doing CP? and do you know if canadian consulates process diversity visas? i dont think they process any other type of immigrant visas...?

I am not all that familiar with what Canadian consulates process, so I have to rely on those who went through that experience.

Just based on the assumption that if they do 300 a month, the 1200s would start in february. It's pure speculation and not backed by anything, but was just a guess.

Good luck then for February. Regarding financial evidence, ultimately it's your decision on what you'll do. If you think you don't need it, then you'll have less documents to carry to your interview. That's a good thing.