Advice me

jkl47

Registered Users (C)
I'm here on H4 visa and I' m in the process of getting divorce and I've been here for over 9 months.My marriage was for just 4 months.I don't know anything about this country and this divorce is filed in another state and I'm having rough time as I don't have money and any attroney I speak to ,is asking me to hire them or they just fob off by saying that since the divorce is filed in another state they can't help me .With the help of my realtives I applied to schools there again I have to change my status to F-1.My relatives can't help and me finacially anymore as they had me with them for more than 7 months now and are aslo willing to pay a semister fee for my school.I don't know whether to think about the divorce case as it is alreday going through or about my visa status. Different people are saying differnt things.If my F-1 won't get approved I will lose all the money I will pay as tuiton Fee.I don't have any where to go back to in home country.I don't have proof for anyhting I went through with my spouse except the Emails I sent to my relatives asking them to rescue me.As at that time I was trying to make things work and going for help outside won't practically help the marraige.Only when I decided I can't take it any more did I move out.I'm in a infeasible situation which I can't express to anyone.As I don't have H1 of my spouse I don't know what will happen to my F-1 conversion.Is there anything I can do.I hold Masters degree in computers from India.Whom and how can I approach to help me get a GC or some work permit.I'm just plodding through days hoping something better will happen tomorrow.please try to advice me.

It is indeed a difficult situation. Appeal to the local indian associations, you will have to try through F1. There are not any direct route to GC (except by marriage). Once the divorce is finalised your H4 becomes invalid. Try to get a job with your computer education- you can try teaching jobs too...

Thanks a lot for your advice..can you ,if possible ,tell me how I can get to the teaching jobs you mentioned..

First of all I'm sorry for your marriage life. I think there is GC category for battered spouse.

I wish you good luck for your future.

http://www.murthy.com/UDtraffi.html

VAWA Bill

This new bill extends the validity date of VAWA and also makes some positive changes. The first step of the procedure for permanent residency under VAWA involves filing a Form I-360 with any available proof of relationship to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident, proof of abuse, proof of having lived with the spouse / parent, good moral character, and a showing of "extreme hardship" if forced to leave the U.S. "Extreme hardship" is an element in various types of applications for waivers and other types of relief under the immigration law -- it is a very high standard. The new VAWA law eliminates the extreme hardship requirement. It also enables spouses and children of U.S. citizen or permanent resident military and certain other overseas employees to apply from abroad. A battered child who turns 21 would still be able to keep her/his priority date and pursue the application.

If your ex-spouse is in the process of AOS, then once his GC is approved you can use this VAWA bill to apply for your GC.