Advantages of green card

robocop104

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I am trying to compile a list of things that I can do now that I have my green card that I could not have done before with my Indian passport.

The only two things that I came up with, is employment opportunities and changes to taxes, Other than travel to Canada and Mexico.

Can people please post the other practical advantages that they have seen regarding travel or otherwise that you were able to do with the green card which you could not do before.

I will try to compile it into a document and post it back in its compiled form.

Thanks.

Add several caribbean countries to the list along with Canada and Mexico.

When you travel to India via some Europian countries (e.g. England)
You are no longer required to get a transit visa.

waht taxes change?

I didnt' know there were changes to taxes being an LPR.. Can you please clarify?

Also add Switzerland to the list. I went through Geneva to India and didn't need a transit visa..

No transit visa required for Frankfurt too.

As the previous memeber asked, I haven't heard of any change is Taxes.

Please clarify.

There are changes in taxes.
Usually once one becomes a LPR, he/she can no longer claim tax treaty benefits ( if there is such a treaty ).
As a F1 student awarded with Fellowships award, the tax treaty France/US was making my award totally tax-free. When I became a LPR, the treaty was no longer applicable, so I was paying taxes on my fellowship.
That's the example that comes to my mind as I experienced it.

state taxes and elections

Also, in some states, we have to file state income tax as non resident and hence cannot claim some benefits until we get the green card. but i have been filing resident for federal purposes. so i guess its specific to state. most states are the same as federal for simplicity and some are not.

there are supposed to be elections that you can pariticpate that you dont need to be a US citizen for voting. i havent found any, that are applicable for me, that i am interested in yet.

Catseyes said:
Usually once one becomes a LPR, he/she can no longer claim tax treaty benefits ( if there is such a treaty ). As a F1 student awarded with Fellowships award, the tax treaty France/US was making my award totally tax-free. When I became a LPR, the treaty was no longer applicable, so I was paying taxes on my fellowship.

You can always make a claim under a tax treaty.

The difference is that an F1 is by definition a NON-RESIDENT of the US for tax purposes, no matter how long you stay here. If you had switched non-immigrant statuses to anything other than F or J, you would have had the same issue.

crazy_newjersey said:
I didnt' know there were changes to taxes being an LPR.. Can you please clarify?

Also add Switzerland to the list. I went through Geneva to India and didn't need a transit visa..

Actually, like Canada and Mexico, Switzerland doesn't require a visa for stays less than 90 days for GC holders from countries whose citizens would otherwise need a tourist/business visa.

You can always make a claim under a tax treaty.

TheRealCanadian : maybe you're right. But I know for sure that this does not work for the tax treaty France/US.

It might for others though.

Catseyes said:
But I know for sure that this does not work for the tax treaty France/US.

Your example has exactly zero to do with the tax treaty and everything to do with tax residency.

The US/France tax treaty is EXPLICITLY designed for the protection of tax residents living/working/making money in the other country, as are all tax treaties. Their immigration status, unless explicitly mentioned (like non-residency in the cast of F, J and M aliens) is irrelevant.

Look, I don't want to start a fight on this. Are you a CPA having read entirely the tax treaty for US/FRance?
I don't think so.
I read the treaty because it was important for my situation.
And I know for sure that this treaty ( US/ France ) clearly says that if you become a Legal Permanent Resident ( GC ) , you can no longer use the benefits listed for students under F or J visas. It is different if you become a resident for tax pruposes because of the 5-year rule : then, you can still claim the benefits. But I insist, it does not work if LPR.
So, it is written.
Now, go ahead and read the treaty if you want to argue.
I just wanted to help. Somebody asked for examples of tax changes. This is one. Maybe it only works for French people with a given type of visa before.

Tax treaty US/ France : http://www.info-france-usa.org/intheus/tax/004us.asp
" Article 21
Students and Trainees
1. (a) An individual who is a resident of a Contracting State immediately before his visit to the other Contracting State and who is temporarily present in the other Contracting State for the primary purpose of: "

Again, in the particular example I explained ( whch was my situation : F1 with scholarship award ), there is a change for taxes.

I was probably wrong when I said that a LPR usually looses tax treaty benefits when LPR.
It depends on what is written in your applicable tax treaty.
But, one is responsible for the understanding of the applicable treaty.

Catseyes said:
Look, I don't want to start a fight on this. Are you a CPA having read entirely the tax treaty for US/FRance?

Fair enough - my apologies. And you're quite correct in stating that people should take a look through the tax treaties that may apply to them.

One BIG disadvantage is if you get married after getting Green Card then you can not sponsor your spouse. There is no dependent visa for Green Card spouse & childrens.

Dago Red said:
Well, there are some disadvantages too. You're not allowed to make some investments in certain countries, because these banks or investment firms don't report to the IRS (see next post from Catseyes)

mike_inus said:
One BIG disadvantage is if you get married after getting Green Card then you can not sponsor your spouse. There is no dependent visa for Green Card spouse & childrens.

Actually, that's what the FB2 category is all about. The problem is not that there is no dependent immigrant visa for the children and spouses of Permanent Residents, it's just that there are too many people applying for it.

my dear friend i dont know who gave u this info,but this is wrong...
you can definitely sponsor ur wife and kids on gc,but it is a lengthy process spanning atleast 5 yrs...
other option is get ur citizenship and apply on k visa...

mike_inus said:

One more benefit

robocop104 said:
Hey guys,

I am trying to compile a list of things that I can do now that I have my green card that I could not have done before with my Indian passport.

The only two things that I came up with, is employment opportunities and changes to taxes, Other than travel to Canada and Mexico.

Can people please post the other practical advantages that they have seen regarding travel or otherwise that you were able to do with the green card which you could not do before.

I will try to compile it into a document and post it back in its compiled form.

Thanks.

In some states you can avail in-state tution if you are a LPR.

You also qualify for CD bank deposits in some banks, get lower mortgage rates, can have a baby outside the US (and still get LPR for the baby) and get admission in some universities which have restrictions on number of non locals they can admit.
Many small benefits but biggest ones are peace of mind, employment without restriction and path to citizenship. Diasadvantages are 1) You cannot leave the US for more than 6 months or accept employment in your home country and 2) Sponsoring wife takes about 6 years

Actually, that's what the FB2 category is all about. The problem is not that there is no dependent immigrant visa for the children and spouses of Permanent Residents, it's just that there are too many people applying for it.

I think the point the poster wanted to make was this:

If you are here on a H1b, L1, F1 visa, there are numerically unlimited dependent visas available, if you have a GC things are more complex.

So, lets say you are a single guy on a L1 and in a situation where you have control as to WHEN you file your GC application (e.g. by having an approved EB-1-EA petition), it can be a consideration to hold off on filing for the GC until you are married. That way, your wifey gets her GC along with you instead of being locked out of the country for 5 years until you are a citizen.

The FB-2 category is one of the most glaring examples as to what is f#@#d up with the US immigration system. At the same time that congress embarks on giving GCs to strawberrry pickers, there are philipina nurses whose husbands have to wait 8 years to follow them.

I think one of the key advantages of having a GC is the freedom to go back to school if you feel like it. You are now eligible for school loan programs scholarships and you don't have to apply under any 'international program' restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 mos or 1 year

isnt it that u cant leave US for more than one year! - that u need a REP - less than one year is ok isnt it

hipka said:
You also qualify for CD bank deposits in some banks, get lower mortgage rates, can have a baby outside the US (and still get LPR for the baby) and get admission in some universities which have restrictions on number of non locals they can admit.
Many small benefits but biggest ones are peace of mind, employment without restriction and path to citizenship. Diasadvantages are 1) You cannot leave the US for more than 6 months or accept employment in your home country and 2) Sponsoring wife takes about 6 years

that's correct.

To everyone in the forum:

If you had a choice to file for citizenship in 3 years or go back to India with REP, after being on GC for 2 years, which one would you choose?

thanks in advance.