"Activating" Green card

michaeljc70

My mother in law, a Mexican citizen, received approval for a green card through relatives. I am being told that she has to come to the USA within a certain period of time but can only do so via land. This is difficult as she is a senior citizen and doesn't drive. It sounded odd to me and I want to make sure this is how it actually works and there isn't something being lost in the communications.

I am sure "activating" isn't the correct terminology, but they said the card will not be valid if she doesn't come within 3 months I believe.

P.S. She had a valid tourist visa until she got the green card.

What people mean when they say "activating" is entering the US with their immigrant visa. Only when they enter the US with their immigrant visa, do they become a US permanent resident (i.e. a green card holder). Before that, they are just an immigrant visa holder; they do not "have a green card" until they enter the US with their immigrant visa. The immigrant visa can only be used to enter the US on or before the expiration date of the visa. She can enter the US through any means of transport at any port of entry; there is no reason why she can only enter by land (unless she wants to avoid the COVID-19 test requirement).