A new visa, H-5A and H-5B -- New Bill

Emailed them

Emailed almost everyone of them. Here is the text I used

May 24, 2005

Address
CA Zip

Re: Immigration Reform Bill

Dear Sir,

I am working in United States legally for over 5 years. I am on H1B Visa and I have been paying taxes regularly. I am an aspirant immigrant to USA and do not see any chances of passing through the first stage of the green card which is DOL labor certification. I cannot leave my current employer even if I want to because currently the labor certification is tied to the employer. Due to the current constraints on dependent visa (H4) my wife cannot work and it’s affecting her career as well.

Referring to your Immigration Reform Bill I learn that illegal and unskilled foreign workers will be benefited immensely once the bill passes. I would like to request you sincerely to consider the people legally present in USA for over 4 years into this bill. Because I was not present in USA on May 12 2005 illegally and because my job is not a low-level unskilled job not including me in this bill would be unfair. I think that it will be a punishment for doing something the right way! Clearly not the American Way.

I would like to have my green card process not dependent on the employer and I would like to be able to change job at will as will be the people falling under new visa categories which your new bill is about to bring. I urge you to please extend the benefits of this new bill to legal aliens as well. Not including legal foreign workers especially H1-B visa holders will be an injustice to my fellow H1-B workers and myself.

Best Regards

CA_LC

Yeah, I included cure for retrogression as well in my letter. Because if this bill can't favor to us, we want to let them know severe EB-3 retrogression problem atleast and request for possible solution.

baby_mde said:
Hi Everyone,

When you send emails to senetoers, please include to "Cure for the Retrogression" in addintion to inclsion of H1B in new bill.

Because Hi-Tech jobs are very highly paid jobs we do not know when we loose jobs. So we should get GC as soon as possible. If this pass, there 400000 (H5) + 65000 (H1B) + ???(H1C) + ??? (H2A) + ??? (H2B) + etc nonimmigrant visas against 289000 GC. 289000 GC are very less against demand.

Please include in your email to retrgression problem.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I am not attorney and it is guess,

Strict enforcement sought in immigration reform plan

Two Republican senators who will oversee their party's efforts on immigration called yesterday for strict law enforcement as part of any temporary-worker program, and criticized a competing group of senators for not having serious enforcement.
Two weeks ago, Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, introduced a broad overhaul of immigration that called for a path to citizenship for illegal aliens, a 400,000-person-per-year increase in immigration and for the federal government to produce a plan to secure the border.

It also called for Mexico to secure its own borders to try to prevent the flow of illegal aliens across the U.S.-Mexico border.
"I would characterize theirs as containing more studies rather than real money," said Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican, who along with Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican, will put forward a competing immigration overhaul some time this summer.
The Kyl-Cornyn bill will propose hiring 10,000 Department of Homeland Security employees to do work-site investigations over the next five years, and another 5,000 to detect fraud in immigration-benefits adjudication.
It also spends $5 billion over five years, half for technology and half on infrastructure, to "achieve operational control of the borders of the United States."
But some of the bill's key provisions simply restate current law.
The senators said the 10,000 Border Patrol agents for which the bill will call repeat the same authorization from last year's intelligence-overhaul bill. And the bill calls for far fewer detention beds for illegal aliens awaiting deportation proceedings than current law already authorizes.
Lawmakers who back the McCain-Kennedy bill said the Kyl-Cornyn proposal shows growing momentum for comprehensive immigration legislation. But one advocacy group, the National Immigration Forum, criticized Mr. Cornyn and Mr. Kyl for their approach.
"Based on review of Sens. Cornyn and Kyl's outline, they correctly diagnose the need for smart and strong enforcement, but fail to offer a winning solution by relying largely on ineffective and discredited enforcement strategies," said Angela Kelley, deputy director of the forum.
"Serious immigration reform must be bipartisan to pass and comprehensive to work. Partisan outlines of partial proposals do not rise to the challenge of comprehensively fixing our immigration system," she said.
While senators called for enforcement efforts as part of an overall bill, their House colleagues said enforcement must come before any other bill.
"This month a bill to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants was introduced in the U.S. Senate," said Rep. Charlie Norwood, Georgia Republican. "I think we should send a very clear message to the other body not to waste their time or ours on any bill dealing with the status of illegal immigrants, until we first secure our borders."

source: washingtontimes

Petition Content -- Draft -- Pl

I have prepared a draft petition. Please advise of corrections/feedback.

Dear Friends,

Senators McCain and Kennedy have recently introduced a bill titled “Immigration Reform Bill” that will create a new visa category called the H-5 visa. There are 2 sub-classifications under the H-5 visa.

1. H-5A visa, which allows unskilled foreign workers to enter the US on a 6-year period. After 4 years, the worker can apply for adjustment of status on his/her own in this category, to become permanent residents.

2. H-5B visa, which allows undocumented immigrants in the US on a specific date to adjust status to become permanent residents.

Both categories of visas also come with privileges such as travel and work authorization for spouse and children.

This bill will benefit unskilled workers and undocumented workers if it becomes a law. We would like to ask the senators involved in sponsoring this bill to include skilled H-1B workers and provide the same benefits to us. I would like to urge you to send emails to the senators and also sign this petition to show your solidarity for including H-1B non-immigrants in this bill.

Guys,

Please allocate your little time to write govt regarding possible H1 inclusion in H5 bill, EB-3 retrogression and other issues to Senators and Congressman:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Senators/Congressmen sponsoring H5 Bill:
1.Senator McCain

http://mccain.senate.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=Contact.Home

2.Senator Ted Kennedy

http://www.senate.gov/~kennedy/index_high.html

3.Congressman Luis Gutierrez

http://luisgutierrez.house.gov/feedback.cfm?campaign=luisgutierrez

4.Congressman Jeff Flake

jeff.flake@mail.house.gov

5.Congressman Jim Kolbe -- accepts messages only if you are
from 8th district of Arizona.

http://www.house.gov/kolbe/IMA/issue.htm
----------------------------------------------------------
Immigration subcomm list:

http://judiciary.senate.gov/subcommittees/immigration109.cfm

Search each senator name into google and you will find link of that senator's homepage. Find "contact" link from homepage where you can send email to senator. Most of senator's homepage don't provide email address but there is email form which you can fill and send.

For email format, please check page 2 of this thread.,

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=174962&page=2&pp=15

Here is a link which will give you contact of Senator in each state:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Here is another link from the AILA for congressmen:

http://capwiz.com/aila2/officials/congress/

Last edited by a moderator:
GCBy2010 said:
I have prepared a draft petition. Please advise of corrections/feedback.

Dear Friends,

Senators McCain and Kennedy have recently introduced a bill titled “Immigration Reform Bill” that will create a new visa category called the H-5 visa. There are 2 sub-classifications under the H-5 visa.

hi Can you please prepare the final version and post the final link? We can start forwarding it to desi channels at Cisco Sun Microsoft etc etc.

Hi GCBy2010 & others.

We seem to have lost some momentum here. Any suggestions on what we should do now? Any feedback from Mr.Khanna to our proposed petition and lobbying?

Reply from Senator Specter

I went to visit Senator Specter's website and use the form to send a letter. I'm not a resident of Pennsylvania but we're sending it to him because the BEC is in Philadelphia. I got a reply after a few minutes on my email and here's the content:

(Please do not reply to this email)

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

I receive a large volume of E-mails, phone calls, faxes and letters every week from concerned citizens like yourself.
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of mail, I can only respond if you're a resident of Pennsylvania. If you need to find out who your U.S.
Senator is please go to www.senate.gov.

If you are a resident of Pennsylvania, and still recieving this message, it simply means that I need you to use my web form to send your message to me. Please go to www.specter.senate.gov, click on the link "Contact Info"
and then click on "Contact Form".

„H IMMEDIATE ACTION ITEMS: To respond to your time sensitive concerns,
please contact the Washington office or the state office in your area.

„H Scheduling Matters: Please contact our Washington office by faxing your request to our fax line (202) 228-1229.

„H Constituent Services: i.e. DC Tourism, Internships, Flag Requests, and Academy Nominations. Please access my website. You may also submit your tour request to our tour line (202) 224-5860.

„H Casework: (Passport/Visa issue, Social Security claims, etc.). Please contact the state office in your area.

¡V Philadelphia (215) 597-7200
¡V Pittsburgh (412) 644-3400
¡V Harrisburg (717) 782-3951
¡V Scranton (540) 346-2006
¡V Allentown (610) 434-1444
¡V Erie (814) 453-3010
¡V Wilkes Barre (570) 826 6265

Thank You

Dont forget to add...tax paying...only mention of $$ works in this country

Guys ,
The senators who passed the EB3 recapture bill for nurses definetely also know that EB3 tech guys are going to get screwed.....if they wanted to help they would have done so already.....the reason is they have not done is that they dont care......why would they care for poor EB3 immigrants from india.
..how are these guys different from the British colonist...??...

Dear Senator,

I just finished reading the bill you are sponsoring on the proposed H-5 visa with great interest and discouragement: I am missing something essential: where does it talk about better provisions for legal workers currently on an H-1B visa status?

I am extremely discouraged to learn that if the current bill (“The Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005”) passes, illegal immigrants can obtain a legal temporary working visa (H-5) that will qualify them for legal permanent residency status after 4 years without going through the labor certification process. This is a ‘punch in the face’ to us who have studied and worked in the US for a long time but now face the reality of having to depart the US if our labor certifications are not approved, all while illegal immigrants can enter today and in four years become legal residents if the proposed bill passes.

If a goal of US immigration is to become more fair and reasonable, why then are illegal immigrants rewarded while legal foreign national workers on H-1B visas are punished? We would be much more enthusiastic about provisions like the ones proposed for H-5 visas if the present H-1 and H-1B visas would be endowed with the same benefits such as being able to petition a permanent residency without an employer sponsor after extended work periods in the US and the opportunity to allow our spouses to work as well. Why extend these wonderful benefits to illegal immigrants and not to legal temporary workers? This causes the bizarre situation that legal H-1B workers may ensure that they become illegal so they can apply for the H-5 visa and through that become permanent residents much easier.

Comparing the present H-1B with H-5 is in essence a 'punch to the face' for legal immigrants since the H-5 has so many obvious advantages. Are you really trying to tell the honest, skilled, talented, and highly educated people of the world that America is not ready to embrace them since they entered the US legally, while the US is more than happy to embrace uneducated people who have entered the US illegally?

Therefore I urge you to add a provision in your “The Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005” that gives H-1B workers at least the same rights and immigration benefits as the ones you intend to extend to illegal immigrants though the H-5 visas.[/QUOTE]

Well, I agree that they knew EB3 tech guys issue but still did not favour us - as Senate version of bill included us but not the final one. The reason is that there was strong lobbying for Nurses/PT from Hospitals, peoples, lawyers but no one was lobbying strongly for tech guys. So in order to make our voices heard to government, show them our numerical strength and realize our problems & pains, everyone must write to Senators/Congressman and request for earliest solution for EB3 tech retrogression and other issues.

pani_6
The senators who passed the EB3 recapture bill for nurses definetely also know that EB3 tech guys are going to get screwed.....if they wanted to help they would have done so already.....the reason is they have not done is that they dont care......why would they care for poor EB3 immigrants from india.
..how are these guys different from the British colonist...??...

Write to Amnesty international

People have been locked in the virtual prison called Labor Queue ..some of them from as far as as Dec 2000...their spouses have not been able to work because of no ead's....people have to be in the same job code..no promotion...got to take abuse from employers...all this is nothing short of human rigths violation.....and then you have to wait for the visa number availability.....why is the land of the Free chaining everybody like this...mean while if your lc gets rejected they get to keep all the SS and medicare money....

The senators dont care...not even AILA.....Only Rajiv Khanna seems to keep us going.....

Pani_6,

I agree with you 100%. I would extend AC21 to Labor Processing and I-140. What I mean is AC21 should amended in such a way that one should able to switch jobs even after 180 days of LC and 140 pending, obtain EAD for himself and family.

It very our bad luck and it might be human rights violation.

baby_mde, I agree with you. In fact, I was thinking the same - we understand that DOL can not adjust status when they are out of immigrant visa, but atleast they should allow to file and process I-485, EAD meantime until PD become current and they should adjust status immediately after visa available. This can give big relief for person affected by retrogression - as they have portability, their spouse can get work authorization and solve many other issues. I think it is more of a DOL policy issue.

baby_mde said:
Pani_6,

I agree with you 100%. I would extend AC21 to Labor Processing and I-140. What I mean is AC21 should amended in such a way that one should able to switch jobs even after 180 days of LC and 140 pending, obtain EAD for himself and family.

It very our bad luck and it might be human rights violation.

CA_LC, Indio0617

i did'nt get a reply from Rajiv yet. Also, i checked the posts only today.. been occupied with work for last one week..May be we should schedule a conference call and talk sometime what to do..let me know what you guys think.

Funny,
just yesterday I thought about portability for labor. I have approved labor and my employer now cancelled I-140 in lay-off. There is a company virtually next door that would be willing to hire me in same/similar job.
It would be so useful if they instead could file I-140 and resume - I mean the labor already proves that there are not sufficient workers in that region.

But no, the labor is attached to original employer who shut plant down and will never ever use it again.....

Visit Sen. Kennedy - Boston

What is the status of visiting Sen. Kennedy and hand in petition to consider same provision for H1 Visa holder in new Immigration Reform Act. I sent an email to sanukum@hotmail.com, giving my availability to join crew to see Sen. Kennedy. I have not heard anything back yet. Please let me know the status.