1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new US citizen divorced and marrying again

Discussion in 'Life After Citizenship' started by Patelbro, May 2, 2012.

  1. Patelbro

    Patelbro Registered Users (C)

    I came to US in 2007 through marriage to my US citizen husband. I became US citizen last year. My husband left me for an another woman and we are legally divorced now. My question is...Can I marry a man in my home country and file I-130 for him or is there a waiting period to do it?
  2. USER2345

    USER2345 Registered Users (C)

    Can a natural citizen divorce someone and then get married to someone else as soon as they pleased? Yes! So drop that mentality that you are not as equal of a citizen as natural born! You can do what ever you want!
  3. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    WOW! You are clueless!
  4. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    You may file BUT you have an extra burden of proof that YOUR immigration marriage was not a sham. This extra burden drops away 5 years after YOU got YOUR status through a spouse.

    You will likely be under extra scrutiny anyway with serial immigration marriages. Be prepared for it.
  5. USER2345

    USER2345 Registered Users (C)

    Can you back up your ignorant statement with a link to a law or a rule or anything official? Extra burden drops after 5 years?...Really?..Serial Immigration marriages?..I think it's pretty normal in this country to get divorced and remarried!
    Once you are a citizen, you don't have to prove anything to anyone! You don't have to even talk to any government official for the rest of your life!
    Drop the slave mentality.
  6. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    To the ignorant, rude schmuck who knows nothing except how NOT TO BEHAVE IN A CIVIL MANNER:

    INA 204

    (g) Notwithstanding subsection (a), except as provided in section 245(e)(3) , a petition may not be approved to grant an alien immediate relative status or preference status by reason of a marriage which was entered into during the period described in section 245(e)(2) , until the alien has resided outside the United States for a 2-year period beginning after the date of the marriage.

    You can follow the references and then follow the references within them and then read: http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol19/3100.pdf

    OR you could just read the I-130 form instructions and it tells you this on the FIRST PAGE!


    Go TROLL elsewhere, putz.
  7. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)


  8. USER2345

    USER2345 Registered Users (C)

    You guys have slave mentality.I hate it when foreign people come here and bring their slaves mentality with them! No US citizen can discriminated based on where they were born! The form I-130 refers to permanent residents who have to prove something!YES permanent residents are abused like slaves! Once you become a citizen you don't have to prove anything to anyone. If there was such law or provision, ACLU would be all over this!
  9. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    Good luck running for the White House!!!

  10. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    You do not have a civil right to sponsor someone for immigration purposes. There are plenty of native-born citizens who cannot petition for their spouse and/or step-children.
  11. CalGreenCard

    CalGreenCard Registered Users (C)

    Can you be more specific about which group(s) of people cannot petition? If you are referring to gay/lesbian couples then, sadly, you are correct--even if the state or home country of the non-USC spouse recognizes the marriage. But for heterosexual relationships, are there any specific categories who cannot sponsor? I'm pretty sure a USC with a criminal record can sponsor--as can a USC with no money as long as there is a co-sponsor.
  12. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    Per provisions of the Adam Walsh Act certain criminal offender such as sex offenders, child abusers, and people with violent domestic histories may not petition for fiances or new spouses and stepkids. It's complicated.
  13. USER2345

    USER2345 Registered Users (C)

    The bottom line is that there is no difference in rights between a natural born citizen and naturalized citizen concerning sponsoring someone through marriage. Yes there are obvious cases like if a citizen is a sex offender..etc, but it's not like there will be a difference Naturalized or Natural.
  14. cafeconleche

    cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

    Criminal or suspicious behaviour, by a natural-born or naturalised citizen, is not allowed. If marriage fraud is suspected, for either type of citizen, it will be taken seriously. The claim that a US citizen will never have to deal with the government is ludicrous.
  15. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    IF there is a ever a finding of marriage fraud, both the alien spouse and USC spouse are forever barred from ALL immigration benefits for life except for protection under CAT and their kid's citizenship (if applicable).

    The alien spouse who gains status (even rapid naturalization) remains under a close watch for a period of time as prescribed by law. THIS SITUATION was made necessary by the actions of a very large number of people from all over the planet, over an extended period. It was "reactionary" legislation back in the 1980's known as the "Marriage Fraud Amendments" to the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Share This Page