a complicated K1 question Please help!

filipino

here's a brief summary of my story,

i went to the USA back in 2005 via tourist visa. i decided to stay because i met a girl who became my fiance eventually in 2006. we had a relationship for almost 3 years until 2010. we never got married because she wasn't ready to settle down so i went back to the philippines last august of 2010. we communicated again and now she's willing to settle down. i am aware of the 10 year ban since i overstayed for 5 years.

now, i'm on my way to qatar to look for a job. my questions are,

1. Can my fiance file a k1 visa while i'm in qatar or do i have to be in my home country (philippines)? Can my petition be processed in the US embassy in qatar?

2. Can i file for a tourist visa in qatar so i can go to the US and get married or i can only file for tourist visa in my home country?

3. how hard is it to file for a Hardship waiver? I-601

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
No Tourist or K-1 or any type of Visa will be available for you till Aug of 2020.
You can apply in Qatar if you have a resident visa in Qatar but the answer is gonna be no.
Hardship waiver for you? What hardship? There is no safety or security issues for a US Citizen to live either in Qatar or Philippines so they are gonna tell her exactly that to live where you are if she gets married to you. Hardship waivers are very hard to get and your situation certainly does'nt meet the requirements.

thanks! if i may ask, are you a lawyer? i've researched my case and i've seen some people who actually were able to get back to the US with a K1 visa. any more answers?

1. Can my fiance file a k1 visa while i'm in qatar or do i have to be in my home country (philippines)? Can my petition be processed in the US embassy in qatar?
It doesnt matter where you are when it is filed- however, your K1 will be denied due to the overstay (I 'think' the official denial is at the interview- not entirely sure though)

2. Can i file for a tourist visa in qatar so i can go to the US and get married or i can only file for tourist visa in my home country?
You are ineligible for a tourist visa due to your 10 year ban that you have accrued due to your lengthy overstay. Any tourist visa you apply for will be denied.

3. how hard is it to file for a Hardship waiver? I-601
As stated by the previous poster, a waiver is a very difficult thing to achieve unless extreme hardship to the US citizen is demonstrated.

A more appropriate forum for you might be this one:
http://immigrate2us.net/forum/content.php
This specifically addresses those filing for waivers based upon re-entry bans due to overstays and entry without inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi.. my fiancee & I is planning to meet this coming February 2015. Is it possible for us to apply for a K1 visa even our relationship is not even 2 years? I am presently in Qatar (2009 till present), if so...kindly advise if we should file here not in Philippines. (My concern is about my job and i rather wait here as i do not have work in Philippines - I work as a Real Estate Agent)