6 yr old traveling to India with old/new passport and OCI card

Hi Friends, We have booked our tickets and don't have sufficient time to get the OCI re-issued with our kids new passports, we traveled last year in Feb 2015 with new passports, but didn't face any issues with airlines or at the port of entry in India, but just want to make sure if anything changed since that time. Anyway going to call the airlines/embassy to see if infact we had to get the OCI reissued, what are my options now.

If anyone had any issues travelling this year or recently without getting the OCI reissued on a new passport for kids.

Thanks,
Ramki

For anyone looking for information with regards to getting OCI re-issued on the child's new passport, here is the link to Bureau of Immigration, Govt of India, you are allowed entry as long as you are carrying the old cancelled passport that had the visa type "U" for LIFELONG

http://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement

"
Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.
"

Hi Friends, We have booked our tickets and don't have sufficient time to get the OCI re-issued with our kids new passports, we traveled last year in Feb 2015 with new passports, but didn't face any issues with airlines or at the port of entry in India, but just want to make sure if anything changed since that time. Anyway going to call the airlines/embassy to see if infact we had to get the OCI reissued, what are my options now.

If anyone had any issues travelling this year or recently without getting the OCI reissued on a new passport for kids.

Thanks,
Ramki

Hi Ramki

I am in a similar situation. US passports renewed but not sufficient time to renew OCI booklets. Did you call / speak with the Indian embassy ? What was their response? thanks

Hi Ramki

I am in a similar situation. US passports renewed but not sufficient time to renew OCI booklets. Did you call / speak with the Indian embassy ? What was their response? thanks

Hi, you cannot possibly talk to anyone at the local embassy with regards to OCI issues, they want you to call the service provider, I talked to the cox & kigs folks, they insist you get the OCI re-issued, they give you scripted answers, won't sway a bit....so I talked to airlines folks as they deal with these every day, according to them they have no problem in admitting people with U VISA stamped in the expired passport and they haven't heard of any issues with those folks getting thru immigration and customs in India.

I looked for actual written info on immigration website, here is what I found, hope this clears up any doubts that you have. I didn't had time to call the local immigration office in India.

http://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement

"
Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.
"

Hi Ramki, bsgon, rreddy:

I will be travelling soon with my daughters, minor OCI card holders. They have new passport and OCI is stamped on OLD. I have been to all the sites mentioned in this thread. I believe there should not be any problem carrying 3 booklets ( new & old passport and OCI), but the word "mandatory" on embassy and consulate websites bugs me.

Curious to know from the latest travelers.....

If anyone has traveled recently without transferring OCI to new passport, please share your experience.
Thanks,

Hi bsgon,
I am in the similar situation as you were.Hope you reached home without any problem.please update.we are travelling in july.Thanks

My daughter, 19, cleared Indian Immigration using her U-visa on an old passport, new passport and her OCI card on June 16, 2016 without any problem. Before traveling to India, I had called the Immigration Office in Mumbai and they told me it would not be a problem. PLEASE NOTE: Do not send them an email; their reply would be that the person must transfer the U-visa to the new passport (they cannot officially say in writing what they can tell you over the phone).

There was absolutely no issue at the Mumbai airport. Just as an FYI, my friends traveled with their children in the same situation in December'15 with no issues (in fact, they did not even know about the "newer" rule of transferring visa to new passport until the person reaches the age of 21.