5 Year address dilema...

coolcatiger

Registered Users (C)
Here is my case.

I have some question about mentioning addresses for last 5 years. Here is my situation.

I worked on H1 with ABC, CT and lived in CT.
MY GC was processed with ABC ( same comapny ) but from PA ...

After getting GC I was transfered to PA office on Jan 1 2000
I worked there in PA from 5 months till May 2000 bt still maintaind home (rental) in CT. I lived in CT during that time but commuted to PA.

for perod of 3 months ie. from Jan 2000 to March 2000 my pay checked were mailed to PA address ( my friends address) and I paid PA taxed from Jan to Mar 2000

Afterwards from Apr to May 2000 my checked were mailed to CT address but I was still working at PA so I paid PA and CT taxes .

I left company in May and the another job in CT.

Do I need to mention that I lived in PA for 3 months with my friends address ?

e.g prev address history could be writtent in different ways, which one would be appropriate ?

Case 1

Jan1998 to Dec 1999 - CT
Jan 2000 to Mar 2000 - PA --- paid PA taxed
Apr 2000 to present - CT -- Apr 200o to May 2000 paid PA and CT taxes

Case 2

Jan1998 to Present - CT
Jan 2000 to Mar 2000 - PA

Case 3

Jan1998 to Present - CT

Guys your help is appriciated ..

Do you think I need legal advice

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing you paid Non Resident Taxes at PA in 2000. If so, you are not required to mention it as you "worked" there and did not "live" there. You were a commuter.

If you however paid "Part Year Resident" taxes, you did indeed live there. So mention it.

The way I see it there is no dilema. Use your best judgement. Where you lived for 3 months , over 4 years ago won't make or break your case but having said that you must be as accurate as you can when filing anything with the Govt.

Thanks for reply.

I paid "part year taxes" in PA. That means I lived there as my paychecks were mailed at PA address, right ?

Do I need to show break in residence in CT for that perisod eventhough my family lived there and I maintained my drivers liscence and everything else in CT for all period.

Or should I show continuos residence in CT ?

Thanks

coolcat,

Honestly its going to make no difference whre you lived as long you dont owe anyone any taxes.

In your case I dont think it should matter weather you show PA or not as you had in fact 2 residences and strictly speaking CT was your domicile and you intended to return to CT eventually so go with CT

Rahul:

Thanks for help.

In addition to the part time payment of taxes, I paid part time tax in CT , my home state as well

I paid like following

Jan & Feb - paid PA taxes
Feb to May paid both PA and CT taxes
JUne - till today - paid CT taxes

do you think I need to mention PA address (friends address) where I never lived.

At the end of year I paid non-resident taxes for PA. and resident taxes for CT.

I am still confused, I want to give correct information and don't want to hide anything,

Thanks

Since you used to work as a consultant and travel back and forth (PA and CT) for a few months, it would make no difference if you dont list your PA address. Ultimately if you are asked about it during the interview, you would always explain the situation. One of my friends did the same, but was never asked for any explanation. Remember that ultimately the two red flags for USCIS would be your place of residence for the last three months and any large gaps you have not elaborated or accounted for in your address list.
So dont stress over it. If something does not match, "Immigration Gods" :D will give you a chance to explain.